Two vittatus African tigerfish, ~16", in 4500 gal

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
The two VATF have been doing ok. Still constantly trying to divide up the tank and never satisfied. Grew some but it's hard to cite their size even approximately - they are so fast. They have been however testing my patience. Precious jerks they are. I think they are the worst offenders in my 4500 gal, supplementing their diet at will with tank mate fins and sometimes even flesh.

As for the flesh, they decided to taste two large Bala sharks 12"-13" each, which I have had about 5 years (rescued at ~4"-5"). Killed both, of course. After having shared the tank for a year or longer.

The first one they took several days with. This is the second Bala, which they killed overnight:

100_7993 (2).JPG 100_7993.JPG

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
That's a real shame! It's sad that they can't go vegetarian :(

sunnysjourney

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2014
US
Ahh that sucks. But they are predators and are bullies. The cool thing I guess is that they haven’t torn each other apart! That’s awesome :). Also, we’re those Japanese perches in that video of the submissive one?

Edit: rewatched the video and they look like Nile perches. Right?

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Thanks, guys.

Ahh that sucks. But they are predators and are bullies. The cool thing I guess is that they haven’t torn each other apart! That’s awesome :). Also, we’re those Japanese perches in that video of the submissive one?

Edit: rewatched the video and they look like Nile perches. Right?
Yea, so far nothing serious between the two. I think one is dodging the other pretty well. It's baffling to see their speed and agility. Lighting fast.

Just for clarity, the video you are asking about features another VATF pair, one year younger and smaller, also from Wes. They are both still in the same 240 gal tanks, separated. And, yes, good eye, they are Nile perches. A few weeks back these two were upgraded to 4500 gal (where the bigger VATF pair resides). So far ok. Funny how they looked looming and overbearing in 240 gal and now look fragile in 4500 gal. They are probably approaching 1'.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
One of the younger pair of the VATF, the submissive one that stayed in its original tank can be seen here in the tank update. Can see the eye damage better too. Never recovered. I don't believe it sees anything out of that eye. But doing well with the one eye left. Takes catfish pellet and cut bait fish.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
A combined video update on the two bigger VATF and two younger, smaller ones.

The video begins with a chase by the large alpha VATF of the large beta VATF. I don't know why but this occurs 1000x more often when I turn the big lights in the 4500 gal. When I keep it dimly lit, I very rarely see any dominating behavior of the alpha. Within seconds of turning the big lights on, the alpha starts pursuing the beta.

So the one by the window is the beta. This is its safe spot - by the window. Alpha takes up the center and the back wall space, approximately 2/3rds of the tank, or so it seems.

I hope you enjoy it, ATF lovers :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store