Is this the right pricing?

Thyroyalgeek

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2017
Woohoo! Dad says I may be able to change the 40 gallon over to salt for Christmas. That gives me a little more confidence but moms on the fence still. I really would like just a single snowflake eel, or a couple of pholidichthys but I really don't wanna push it and have them feel crowded. I have been saving ALL of my money from every single grandmother, event, holiday etc. For THREE YEARS and I finally have enough money.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
A big moray in a 40?

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
First, you don't need a skimmer for that size tank so you can save that money and get something else might be buying a better light system.
Second, you can't have a BTA if you can't afford a good lighting system. BTA required a lot of light and the knock off lighting system from China still cost 200 bucks.
Third, live rock is like a central heart of your bio load removal and the rule is 1~2 lbs of rock per gallons the more the better, you can go with cheaper way and use dry rock but it will take sometime for dry rock become live rock.
Fourth, you should let your system running at least 1 year before trying BTA or any Anemone species.
Lastly, be prepare to deal with algae phase you won't get away from it....

Mushutherhinoscorpion

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2017
Another question. 15 pounds of live rock for 200 bucks? Is this normal?
No but then it all depends on what type or what part of the world it came from like fiji live rock I find to be more higher on price but I get 10 bl of live rock for 30$

Mushutherhinoscorpion

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2017
Wanted to start salt for a long while now, and can get about everything I need, but prices on the fish and lights, I mean 40 bucks for a neon goby!? Dotty backs over a hundred dollars!? I want atleast SOMETHING other than a five bucks chromis after all. How do you pay for it all? Just gonna go with a smaller tank, nothing over the top, if I get more experienced I might move on to something better, but I'm pretty sure I'm just gonna start with an ocellaris pair, and if I'm OK with those, once the tank gets broken in, I might get a small bta, maybe. Wich brings me to my next question, 450 $ for a halide? A little much you'd think for a light bulb, lol. Would this be an ok price to pay for one? How do you pay for all of it? I mean, not ALL of you can be rich can you?, lol.
what state do you live in if you dont mind me asking!? Just because of the high price that you are seeing thing for sale

Thyroyalgeek

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2017
A golden moray I could maybe do in there, but, a snowflake, even just a single one, is pretty much a NO. I'm still not sure about engineer gobies, but they're probably out too. With the bubble tip nem, that's what I was saying, I would only put it in after I've gotten used to salt water if I'm still gonna get clownfish and the tanks about a year old. I already know about their lighting needs, which is why I'm trying to find at least something that's better than the cheap led system ive got posted above. Most stores around here are big box chain stores, and the mom and pop ones, are basically nonexistent. So I'm stuck buying online! Live aquaria is the one with the livestock for the rich people, saltwater fish.Com is too, bluezooaquatics looks OK. Vividaquariums does too, when I click aquastockers.Com it takes me to a car decal store. Petsolutions looks fine, thatpetplace, looks OK, I'm still not sure if aquabids safe, and last of all, marinefishEZ I can't go in because 1. Its not a private website, and 2. Every single antivirus and Knox app on my phone lists it as "CRITICALLY DANGEROUS". So I'm left with, blue zoo aquatics, Petsolutions, thatpetplace, and vivid aquariums. Anybody have experience with any of these places? And Mushutherhinoscorpion Mushutherhinoscorpion ? Live rock for 30 $!! Where do you buy from?!?! That horn shark you have looks pretty cheap compared to saltwaterfish.Com's 2,300$ eppaulette they have on their website, Even after you've been on the waiting list for who knows how long.

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
Buying live stock online will burn your pocket because of overnight shipping, then you will deal will stressful live stock, unhealthy one or DoA. You would better find some place and even if it take 2 or 3 hours driving to get there is still better than buying live stock online. The only thing you should buy/order online are equipment, water supplement bottles. If its too hassle for you to buy/order anything locally then best just stay away from this hobby or wait until you are older and find some better place.

Thyroyalgeek

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2017
Oh well, a little bit of me just died, But who cares, lol. I really doubt we're gonna drive over 4 hours to a decent store so it might just be off. I'll still be looking though for something close!

Thyroyalgeek

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2017
Found a store an hour and a half away in the very back of a mall. It looks reputable and has five star reviews. That might work. They specialize in frags and corals but have some basic fish too. Looks worth checking out, and I've already emailed them too. The reason there aren't many stores around here is because not many people in my area are into this hobby.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store