How did you get a mini marbled questions

Alexp08

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2017
Hello everyone. Im looking into getting my fiest ray. Setup will be a 220 with either a 75 or a 100 gallon sump. I was originally looking into retics as I didn't know there was a mini motoro.

So I'm wondering how everyone came across their minis. Was it by luck, did you purchase from a breeder, did you breed your own and it was the runt of the litter?

I'll most likely be getting my ray special order by my LFS as the nearest airport is about 3.5 hours from me. I'd love to get a mini motoro but I'm not sure how to land one as they don't seem to be labeled as such within the trade at LFS. Any other advise would be appreciated. Thanks!

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
True mini marbles are extremely rare. They are an actual variant of the marble motoro. I don't know of anyone breeding them for resale. They definitely are not importing them from Colombia anymore. Retics aren't too easy to obtain anymore either. Your best bet for one of the "small" rays is a hystrix. There's a few people breeding them still.

Reactions: SHARK13

Alexp08

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2017
How come retics are hard to obtain? I thought they were harder to get than the hystrix?

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
They are harder to get than hystrix no days. They used to be easy to get, but now they are not imported anymore.

Alexp08

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2017
Any idea why they're not being imported? I feel like I'm getting into the ray game too late lol

SHARK13

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2012
With minis you need to find a breeder and ger on a waiting list. There are only a few guys breeding them. Scobina are crazy hard to get and expensive. If your serious about wanting some, PM me.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store