Help!! polypterus / cichlid 125gal 6ft long tanks

JuniorMonsterKeeper

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Hi everyone I have a slight issue it’s urgent but I’m trying to excercise some patience and don’t wanna over react although this is serious.

Last Thursday I came home to find one of my Ornates (12 -13 inch) on his back dead. I had done my morning tank stock checks on all my tanks and everyone in all tanks were good and alive. I left for approx 2 hours to return to find it belly up. Up until this point there hasn’t been any new stock additions for over a month with the exception of 2 juvenile red jewels that spawned and were raising fry in a 10 gal. The 10gal is bare bottom and has a 2 small stones in it with a 15gal sponge filter / 15 gal fluval submersible filter and sits around83 degrees. They were born in my 125 and moved into the 10 gal to grow out where they eventually spawned their own batch.

4 days prior I had done a 60% water change as I was rearranging stones and found a surplus of bichir waste under some where my mbuna had been digging. The 125 holds before adding the juvenile paid - adult pair of red jewels / adult pair of sulfur heads / 4 demasoni / 1 albino senegalus (approx 8inch) / 1 endlicheri (13 inch) / 2 ornates polys (12-13inch) / 3 red zebras / 1 orange blotch Zebra / 1 ice blue zebra / 1 red shoulder peacock / pair (2)of juvenile bicolour 500 peacocks / juvenile
Hongi.

Filtration - fx6 / fluval 306
Filter media - biomax ceramic / k1 media / sponges
60 gal sponge filter
Maxi jet 600*2
Temp- 82

Before water change Ph 7.6
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10ppm

I had recently also just added 2 marina hang on breeder boxes to the system but the fry added were already in the tank system in hang on baskets. I had a freak accident where one of my polys hit a basket and knocked it loose and all of my fry were eaten. So I removed 2 bubble sources to operate these boxes -1 being being the 60 gal sponge filter and a airstone in corner and replaced with intake valves being raised to surface to create surface agitation.

I test with API freshwater master kit / condition with prime and also add in seachems stress guard and Aquarium salt but slightly less than the required amount for the water I remove(60 gals removed 45 gals worth of aquarium salt).

I ve been feeding my tank - omega one cichlid super color pellets / hikari cichlid gold sinking pellets / hikari cichlid excel and as of a week ago added hikari massivore delight to the regiment and from time to time I feed frozen brine shrimp / brine shrimp with spiruline / jumbo blood worms talapia and prawns. I medicate the bloodworms and brine shrimp when I see cichlids with clear stringy poop. And because cichlids are messy in general I make sure to do this at night for a week. As I know polys eat on the floor and it’s possible for them to take in some poop when eating although my power heads are settup to keep the bottom as clear as they possibly can.

Sorry for writing so much but I’m trying to be as thorough as I can. Now for the past 3-4 days I ve noticed my endlicheri acting weird or I should say uncharacteriscally for him. His eating is next to nothing as he is typically an aggressive eater who swoops in to collect husband pellets sometimes 2-3 at a time of the gold and even more so of the omega ones or hikari excel. Or snatches talapia and chomps it like it’s his first meal ever. He has been glass surfing in an odd fashion as well. I will take a video of this and edit this post witha link to video. He also has been darting more than ever where as he never has done this before. I noticed some of his dorsal fins were damaged as tho he had fin rot and this is even more so unusual.

Now I have to admit I did make a rookie mistake in the midst of these past 2 days. I had agreed to purchase another ornate (10inch)prior to this situation with my endlicheri as a replacement for the ornate I lost. I had no quarantine tanks available yet due to fry n breeder boxes in transit so I placed the new ornate into a cooler from I got it at 10am till about 12 am the next morning and had added in some prazipro / stressguard / melafix and Pimafix. I had already done a water change in large tank on the Thursday and had treated the whole tank as well. So it’s fair to say on Tuesday At 1 am I had added the new ornate. My endlicheri was already exhibiting the glass surfing and was eating somewhat but less than normal before this and his fins were fine. At around 2pm when my lights turned on I had noticed the new ornates external nostrils were half the length of what they should have been and were whitish. This is the same day that I noticed the fin damage on my endli. Now most will say oh the ornate and endli faught but this isn’t characteristic of what I saw when I placed it in and watched for an hour with lights out before heading to bed. It was shy and skiddish aside from it’s curiosity. It spent most of its time swinging the edges of the tsnk and stopping and hiding under rocks. And on occasion laying with my other ornate my endli and my Albino. And my endli was glass surfing on the far right side of the tank most of the time. Also I caught my juvenile hongi nipping my endlis dorsals. I don’t expect my new ornate to eat for sometime till it settles in.

So my question(s) are apparent. Any suggestions ? Anything sound familiar to anyone else? What can I do in your opinions? I’m trying to exercise patience n am finishing out the mela Pima treatment. I ve got a 10 gal empty I know it’s too small but for a temporary quarantine it’s all I have at present.

I will post pics and vids now
Healthy endli
B0570E52-53F2-41C6-A2D8-3F1B64A64A3E.jpeg
856AF0A5-16B1-4BE4-811A-B36B89580565.jpeg
1CD8C180-BA00-4F3D-8E33-548BE9763895.jpeg
New ornate with damaged nostrils
ACD3FCE2-BAB3-4B0B-B83D-8E7111F826F0.jpeg

955663D9-3836-4B86-A178-675769010A5C.jpeg

JuniorMonsterKeeper

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Update - continuation of mela Pima treatment - endlis fins are healing and no longer white.

New ornates mouth and nostrils are not as white and are almost back to normal color.

Endli has eaten today a handful of cichlid gold pellets. His swimming isn’t as erractic as it was either it’s more calm and controlled as I’m used to seeing although he does seem more restless than usual but I know they can get like that.

My order of metro arrived today so will be treating whole tank for IPs starting tonight.

Reactions: kno4te
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store