Came home to an ice cold tank!

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
This just happened on one of my finnex controllers. Rays at 66 degrees is not a good thing lol.

I suggest a heater controller but even those have problems. Redundant systems is really the best way to be 100% safe.

Great save Krich. That intuition can't be taught, takes years to earn.
Thanks man and I will have to do some research on those controllers as I know nothing about them.

TwoHedWlf

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2017
New Zealand
Thanks man and I will have to do some research on those controllers as I know nothing about them.
There are LOTS of options.

I use a sonoff TH10, It's something like $13 usd shipped with a waterproof temp controller. I just use it as a high temp cut set at 28°C. It's only accurate to about 1°C so the heater keeps it more stable. I'm using it more as a fail safe. And I control it from my phone while I'm at work which...Is not exactly useful, but whatever I can tell it's my tank's 25C/77F right now. :)

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
There are LOTS of options.

I use a sonoff TH10, It's something like $13 usd shipped with a waterproof temp controller. I just use it as a high temp cut set at 28°C. It's only accurate to about 1°C so the heater keeps it more stable. I'm using it more as a fail safe. And I control it from my phone while I'm at work which...Is not exactly useful, but whatever I can tell it's my tank's 25C/77F right now. :)
Interesting.

Itsadeepbluesea

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2008
I can say I have had a time or two where I was trying to figure out why the heater wouldn't work only to realize it wasn't plugged in, luckily this was rather quick each time.

monkeybike

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2015
I successfully swapped out the temp probe on the ranco. Apparently you need to coat the probe in silicone for underwater use, which I never did originally. According to the Ranco website they suggest that for aquarium use. So I'm assuming my old probe was just shorting out. The new piece was 13 bucks at Grainger.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store