Gold barred Midas...some nice growth so far....

Twonvito

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2015
New York City
www.brooklynaquatics.com
I purchase them at the 4.5 in size....
Had seen them on the stock list for a long time at 3.5 inch but when I finally decided to order,saw the bigger size I went with those....... They're just becoming really outgoing and rushing to the tank when I come so I don't want to disrupt their behavior by netting to measure ,but they are a heck of a lot bigger than when I bought them... Definitely 5 inch and way taller... Just had them 3 weeks now......

View attachment 1285983
Nice.. did you get a male and female? I notice you have them divided

cich78

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2005
new york
Very sure that I have two males, the degree of hostility that they show each other is extreme.... They were lip-locking within minutes of being put in the tank together, The way they flare and display towards each other if one was a female it would have dropped eggs by now lol..... I have to keep check on the divider to make sure it's secure... One morning after coming home from a double shift (seems like it always happens this way)..one had gotten underneath to the other side and they were both pretty beat up... On that incident it seemed like the one who initially behaved a little less dominant ,was less battered looking and appeared to have come out on the winning end of the actual fight... That one then seem to have a growth spurt and is now the more dominant one. It's been awhile since I had midas and I forgot how aggressive they could be ,crazy me at first thought they might exist okay in a 75 gallon tank without a divider, but with these two I've learned it's essential.......

IMG_20171124_104159063.jpg

IMG_20171124_191654744.jpg

cich78

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2005
new york
if you don't mind me asking what do you feed these guys
Absolutely you can ask, good question☺.... First week I started out giving them mysis shrimp and bloodworms... I do that because they go all over the place and it makes the fish run around to get it.... Downside is the same as the upside it's messing it goes all over the place... Second week or so I gave them massivore Delight.. they can't eat a whole pellet so I break it and give them each half... I was doing that once in the morning and once at night... About a week ago added freeze dried Krill to to which they eat pretty good but they're still slightly skittish about coming to the top... I typically feed them twice a day.... on days that I fed them only once, which when I do is later in the day or evening they are very enthusiastic about eating whateverthat hits the water....

CANAMONSTER

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
Barrie
Nice and humpy already! These look like isletas, gold barred... New name?

cich78

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2005
new york
Nice and humpy already! These look like isletas, gold barred... New name?
... Thanks the lighting on one side of my tank is more reddish so I agree it does give that one a red Istletas look.. generally speaking I understand them as geographic color variant but not different species variant of the Midas cichlid...Here is how they are described by Jeff rapp's on his stock list....."F1 'gold barred' Midas bred from the only two gold barred individuals from SF Libra Lago Managua ,NIC"... I believe they've been on his list for around a couple of years but other members probably clarify the exact amount of time they've been available... If you do a Google search you can see a picture of the parents.... The parents although nice didn't grab me as something that I had to get, it was only after I seeing other members here and elsewhere with really nice full body big humped F1 offspring adults made me want to really get them....

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
Rapps got a shipment of F0 Amph's from "San Francisco Libre, Lago Managua" 2-3 years ago. There were some "Red Barred Midas" available for a short time. I got one and it turned out to be a female. I wish I'd bought 10 of 'em and got a breeding pair. After those all sold out, he started offering these "Gold Barred" Midas.

They come from a certain area of the lake, these color fish are only seen in that area. Search on here for "Red Barred Midas", or "san francisco libre", and you can see Rapps and RD's discussion of these fish.

These are very cool fish. They look great.

Reactions: cich78

cich78

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2005
new york
Rapps got a shipment of F0 Amph's from "San Francisco Libre, Lago Managua" 2-3 years ago. There were some "Red Barred Midas" available for a short time. I got one and it turned out to be a female. I wish I'd bought 10 of 'em and got a breeding pair. After those all sold out, he started offering these "Gold Barred" Midas.

They come from a certain area of the lake, these color fish are only seen in that area. Search on here for "Red Barred Midas", or "san francisco libre", and you can see Rapps and RD's discussion of these fish.

These are very cool fish. They look great.
Thanks ,Ragin Cajun for bringing that thread to my attention... I saw the info and read, Jeff rapp's got the gold barred pair separately in imports around late spring 2015 and apparently bred them that summer.... Looks like they happened to be two individuals that had a gold barred coloration from an area where the midas are multicolored and can have red with the gold barred pattern as well.... I could be wrong but I feel that's good because with that I don't get the sense they would necessarily have bred with another gold barred in the wild...which then for those of us that want to spawn them in our tanks, opens up the options, so that as long as you breed with another midas from San Francisco Libre you still got the same midas species....

Reactions: Trimapit
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store