What’s a good tank size for this fish?

DRteugelsi

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2016
Ohio
hi, all what’s a good tank size for a giraffe-nosed catfish (Auchenoglanis occidentalis)? I am building a 7*3 aquarium and was wondering if that would be suffecient for one specimen?

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
It'd be borderline IMHO. Even the 8x4 too. These fish grow to be unbelievably robust and they do like to swim around.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Suggestions trip me up :) We need to narrow the field. For instance hiding versus non-hiding, swimming versus sedentary, one big catfish versus a school / group of smaller fish, rare versus common, other tank mate compatibility, etc. Not to mention aesthetic requirements differ from person to person.

DRteugelsi

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2016
Ohio
Suggestions trip me up :) We need to narrow the field. For instance hiding versus non-hiding, swimming versus sedentary, one big catfish versus a school / group of smaller fish, rare versus common, other tank mate compatibility, etc. Not to mention aesthetic requirements differ from person to person.
Prefer non hiding
Swimming or sedentary doesn’t matter to me
One big catfish
Prefer it to be on the rare side
Tank mates will be larger polypterus species, and large mid-level fish (undecided on this as well), with some dithers.
And I don’t think I’ve seen a catfish that I think is ugly. :)

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Prefer non hiding
Swimming or sedentary doesn’t matter to me
One big catfish
Prefer it to be on the rare side
Tank mates will be larger polypterus species, and large mid-level fish (undecided on this as well), with some dithers.
And I don’t think I’ve seen a catfish that I think is ugly. :)
With polys and other smaller tankmates, we can forget about large predatory catfish, such as Cephalosilurus apurensis, which I was going to suggest.

Yea, irwini catfish will take a long time to grow and swims slowly, so 7x3 might be ok for a long time. They tend to hide when small and also people complain they are more like pretty logs although we have seen some more active ones, such as the recent acquisition of justarn justarn

You may consider
-- bolt catfish,
-- vulture catfish (albeit the tank might be a bit too tight for a vulture),
-- smaller Auchenoglanis species (from Volta river, or Bouche sp; or A. senegalis),
-- a couple of Parauchenoglanis species grow to 1.5' and look most impressive (ask Yellowcat Yellowcat )
-- smaller "oxydoras niger", such as a Centrodoras sp., ask koltsixx koltsixx
-- Hemibagrus nemurus,
-- a school of Pimelodus ornatus (I got 12, they look awesome together and are active),
-- a group of gulper cats
-- a group of Trachycorystes trachycorystes
-- larger plecos (if your tank is glass)
-- it sounds you are not fond of lima SN but a group looks great (I got eighteen 10"-12"-ers in 240 gal).

Is that enough to jump start your marbles? :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store