New Tank Recommendations?

ygwilliam

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2017
California
Howdy everyone!

I just recently bought a used 100 gallon tank and stand. It came with water heaters, 4 canister filters( two of which are fluval fx5's :)), air pumps, cleaning materials, filter pads and media, etc. I want to make it a cichlid tank, any suggestions on what fish to get? Should I use pool sand or black diamond sand blasting sand (I have heard that both of these will not harm the fish)? Can I fill the canister filters with watered down distilled white vinegar to clean them out to get rid of any harmful bacteria that might be in them from the previous owner?

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Howdy everyone!

I just recently bought a used 100 gallon tank and stand. It came with water heaters, 4 canister filters( two of which are fluval fx5's :)), air pumps, cleaning materials, filter pads and media, etc. I want to make it a cichlid tank, any suggestions on what fish to get? Should I use pool sand or black diamond sand blasting sand (I have heard that both of these will not harm the fish)? Can I fill the canister filters with watered down distilled white vinegar to clean them out to get rid of any harmful bacteria that might be in them from the previous owner?

I personally would use part bleach and hot water to clean out the Canister Filter's. As for what type of Cichlid if it was my aquarium only midsized Cichlid species.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I personally would use part bleach and hot water to clean out the Canister Filter's. As for what type of Cichlid if it was my aquarium only midsized Cichlid species.

PFS is preferred by most but both types of sand are safe for fish.

BadBrad

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Mar 21, 2018
United States
In a very similar situation myself. I am planning on taking my sweet time getting my setup right. While I am doing that I am going to do research into the type of fish, tank mates and water parameters. Let me know where you land with your choices.

Keyboard Cat

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 3, 2018
Howdy everyone!

What about a lake tanganyika biotope? I'm planning on setting one up later this year. Things like julidochromis, neolamprologus, and synodontis would do great in a 100g.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store