Any ideas??

Ryan Maw

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2017
My Flowerhorn has a whitish spot on one of his bottom fins, he had it when I got him but it wasn’t as big. He hasn’t got any white spots anywhere else so I don’t think it’s ich. Water perimeters are all fine and the fish doesn’t look unwell. Any ideas what it could be? And how I could treat it?
---
TMA: Thu Dec 07 2017 08:38:25 GMT+0000 (GMT).jpg

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Could be lymphocytosis. Can you get a side pic? If so needs to be monitored and will go away on it’s own. Should qt the fish so not to spread to other fish. Monitor for any changes in the spot and fish behavior.

Keep it water clean.

Ryan Maw

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2017
Could be lymphocytosis. Can you get a side pic? If so needs to be monitored and will go away on it’s own. Should qt the fish so not to spread to other fish. Monitor for any changes in the spot and fish behavior.

Keep it water clean.

Thank you for the reply! I looked up lymphocytosis online and it does sound like that, I got him through the post so he was really stressed out for a few days.. he still is abit jumpy. I am keeping ontop of the water quality and keeping an eye on the white spot also.. so do I just need to keep his stress levels down as much as possible? Keeping the light off etc? Will it eventually drop off? And here is the other picture.

BDCBE0C6-73ED-4FD4-812F-AF44D2BF4804.jpeg

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Thank you for the reply! I looked up lymphocytosis online and it does sound like that, I got him through the post so he was really stressed out for a few days.. he still is abit jumpy. I am keeping ontop of the water quality and keeping an eye on the white spot also.. so do I just need to keep his stress levels down as much as possible? Keeping the light off etc? Will it eventually drop off? And here is the other picture.

View attachment 1288196
Reduce stress and what rocksor has mentioned. Best of luck.

Reactions: Ryan Maw

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
"If" it is Lymphocystis, that is a virus which is ubiquitous, and is like the common cold in humans.
It can't be treated with normal meds, and must run its course, and be beaten by the fishes own immune system.
Lots of water changes, fed properly (not overfed, or under) and a low stress environment are all one can really do.

Ryan Maw

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2017
"If" it is Lymphocystis, that is a virus which is ubiquitous, and is like the common cold in humans.
It can't be treated with normal meds, and must run its course, and be beaten by the fishes own immune system.
Lots of water changes, fed properly (not overfed, or under) and a low stress environment are all one can really do.
Thanks for the advice! It ended up falling off a few days after I writ this post BUT I have another problem.. he’s not a very big eater.. when I feel my fish he will eat it then spit most of it back out then he won’t be interested. He’s in there with a female (separated) so I don’t know if that has anything to do with it. He’s very active and always swimming next to the divider to get her attention. He also has white poo.. I don’t know wether that’s because he isn’t eating very well or?? The female is very healthy, she would eat all day if she could?

6F7BFA1C-0CC3-47C7-A58D-0B23905830F5.jpeg

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
If the flowerhorn originated from South East Asia, chances are that it might have parasites if you haven't already treated for it. It's immune system went down slightly due to lymphocyctis and the parasite could have used this weakened immune system to grown and reproduce.

Short of doing a fecal examination with a microscope, you could start with a treatment using API General Cure.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store