Green algae won’t go away

Dieboldly

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2015
Buena Park, CA
hey guys! So I have had CO2 being injected via an in-line injector for a while now. I keep battling this darn algae bloom and can’t get rid of it. Crazy part is too, I have the water line coming from a canister filter to the inline injector then to a uv sterilizer and yet still have this algae. Any idea what’s going on? Is it the CO2 or something? I have the PH shutoff switch to a PH of 6.5 do to having Discus in the tank.

698E1A71-45F9-4BAF-8FD5-548249D6B922.jpeg

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; The tank is not planted very heavy. CO2 is a plant nutrient. Without a lot of other plants the CO2 may be used by the algae.
Perhaps turn the CO2 off?

Dieboldly

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2015
Buena Park, CA
Hello; The tank is not planted very heavy. CO2 is a plant nutrient. Without a lot of other plants the CO2 may be used by the algae.
Perhaps turn the CO2 off?
The CO2 is on a PH sensor. So it turns on once it gets higher then 6.5. If I add more plants, less algae bloom I’ll have?

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
The CO2 is on a PH sensor. So it turns on once it gets higher then 6.5. If I add more plants, less algae bloom I’ll have?
Hello; No that was not my idea. Even if you add more plants the co2 may not be needed. My point being it is my understanding the co2 is in fairly advanced or specialized planted tanks.

I should point out I have never used co2 so am not versed in it's use. I have been growing planted tanks for a while without it. My thinking (my WAG) being there is too much of something in the setup. Things that come to mind are too much light or too much in the way of nutrients or both. CO2 is a plant nutrient so it occurred to me to turn it off.
The other thing I noted is the tank seemed lightly planted.

Adding more plants may be of use over time and is not a bad idea also.

Reactions: tlindsey

FreshyFresh

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2015
Buffalo NY
Sorry if I missed it, but what type of lighting and how long are you keeping the lights on?

Like said, something is out of balance, be it nutrients, lighting or CO2.

I'd reduce the time the lights are on, increase water changes and feed less, provided there's fish in there!

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
The problem is that you using tap water.
Your water have too much phosphate and high nitrate.
UV have nothing to do with GHA because it's not something that float around in your water.
If you continue using tap water then the GHA will keep growing, turn off or reduce the light schedule just a temp fix, you will need to fix the source of your problem.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store