Bummed Out

L3CTR0N

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 14, 2017
Singapore
Hey guys... I'm real bummed out today. My hujeta pike characin of 2 years just passed away. He was a present from my uncle, and I loved it so much. Sadly, it seemed that he got injured in the night and in the morning I saw him unable to swim, with him passing minutes later. I get emotionally attached to my fish... Does anyone do that too? Can you share your experiences?

FishEZ

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 16, 2017
Brampton, Ontario
www.fishez.ca
I think we all have a "favorite" or a pet that we grow a bond with. I think the saddest thing I watched was Joey's loss of his arowana after a tank mishap also. He made a 3 video playlist on the incident. Here's the link:

I would say the worst part of an accident was the fact that more often than not, the incident was preventable or at the very least, something that could have been avoided if I had merely been more attentive. I have a powerhead in one tank and knew that my little Bichir could pop his nose in impeller. Well, I had it covered with netting but was too lazy to put it back on when I saw it had come off. I thought my little guy was too smart for that. --wrong. Yes, I feel bad because it was entirely preventable.

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
I get attached to my fish too, sorry for your loss. :(

When I lost Horrace, my 5yr old geophagus brasiliensis it devastated me. I'd raised him from approx 1" to 13" in that time.

He would dance with me, get angry with my ex if he touched me in front of the tank, dance with me and even let me pet him. Its been over two years since we lost him and I still find myself fighting back tears if I think about him for to long.

We had him cremated and are looking for an urn that's as pretty as he was to put him in. When we find one my ex is going to coat it in epoxy then he will go back in his tank where he belongs. :')

mattison187

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2007
vermont
It sucks to lose fish. I recently lost my oldest syno. Cat. She was around 16 years old. Deff made taking care of the tanks for the next month or so pretty tough. Longest lived fish i had by quite a bit. You just gotta learn from it, and try to do better on the next generation.
A few pics of my big girl:
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

H]-[H

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2008
Malaysia
The saddest thing was losing my first fish.. On the day of its passing, it stayed by the glass watching me as if it's trying to say goodbye and when I came home from work, it was dead lying on one side.. :(
I was new to fishkeeping then and didn't know what was happening to it..

Chockful O Phail

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2015
Council Bluffs, IA

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
About a dozen years ago now, I lost a whole tank to a faulty heater. I lost three Oscars that I had for two and a half years (raised from 1in juveniles)and a two year old blue eyed pleco (given to me from a fellow fishkeeper when it was 6in long).
George and Gracie (yes the whales names from Star Trek 4) and Third leg or just "Third" were their names. Made me get out of the hobby till recently when I was given an acrylic 55gal for free.

I know a lot more now, so hopefully I will keep this Oscar till it's like 20 years old.
20171110_220042.jpg
This is Toni, she is 6 months old now and 7in long.

Reactions: Steve_C and Dee eng
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store