What's the most grusome death one of your fish has suffered?

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
When I had my channelcat, Caddy, there was a point when he ate every other fish in the tank except my two SDs and a giant danio. I wanted something else, but I ould not find a fish to go with him that I could afford ( full grown CAs and half grown arowanna are beyond 12 year olds), but one day I went to my lfs and they had a 8" elephant fish, just an inch shorter than my catfish, for $23. It was basically all I had, but I bought it. It took less than a minute for my channelcat to catch, kill and eat my elephant fish. It was so big is trail hung out of the catfish's mouth for the rest of the day.I was disturbed, but I still loved Caddy.

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
When I had my channelcat, Caddy, there was a point when he ate every other fish in the tank except my two SDs and a giant danio. I wanted something else, but I ould not find a fish to go with him that I could afford ( full grown CAs and half grown arowanna are beyond 12 year olds), but one day I went to my lfs and they had a 8" elephant fish, just an inch shorter than my catfish, for $23. It was basically all I had, but I bought it. It took less than a minute for my channelcat to catch, kill and eat my elephant fish. It was so big is trail hung out of the catfish's mouth for the rest of the day.I was disturbed, but I still loved Caddy.

TheMoneyTank(TMT)

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2017
Turns out juvenile fahaka pufferfish are not good mixes with powerheads the poor thing got mashed up like a curry when I got home ;(

Dystopian Deer

Feeder Fish
Oct 18, 2017
Central Alabama
My first fish was a 2" White Catfish that my parents had caught when I was about 4 or 5. His name was Jaws and I adored him. Someone, and to this day I have no idea who did it, dropped a piece of buttered toast in the tank and it killed him. The butter actually solidified around his gills. I was so mad.

I had an awesome community tank that consisted of 2 goldfish (I don't know what kind. They got to maybe 3" and stopped growing), a minnow that survived a friend's Oscar for a year, a native cray and a 5" muscle. I had this tank for 4 years before something went wrong while the cray was molting and he died. Well, the muscle died shortly after and its shell popped open. The fish didn't survive it. That happened overnight, so we didn't know until the next morning. I was more upset about my cray and muscle than the fish.

After not having fish for several years after the mass death of my tank, my dad decides he wants to set up a water pond and add in some fish. He never asked me to look up which fish would do well in an outdoor pond in Alabama. He bought a bunch of comets, a pleco, and a pictus. The comets disappeared, one by one. I don't know if a raccoon ate them or if the pictus did. So a cousin gives me her "fancy" goldfish. One was 2 years old and the other was 5. Everything was great until the first time it rained. See, dad didn't drill holes at the top of this little premade pond. He just dropped it into a hole and called it good. He also didn't fill it back in around the sides after it was in the ground. So it rains and all the fish go missing. There's splashing going on in the gap between the pond and ground. The goldfish had gotten sucked in after they'd washed out. We didn't find the pleco and pictus until we'd drained the pond and pulled it out of the hole. Somehow the pond had lifted just enough for them to swim under it and then it crushed them. The goldfish didn't survive their gills being coated in red clay. I haven't had fish since.

Keen_BTF

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2017
Not gruesome, but really sad (to me anyway). I had a brackish tank with a couple little things in it, but my favorite was a 3 year old Violet Goby. I loved my Maru and would just sit and watch him undulate in the water. One day I noticed that the cats were opening the top of the tank and reaching in so I bought some scat cat spray to put on the floor around the tank to keep them away. However the tank lid was open and the overspray killed my lovely Maru.

ygwilliam

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2017
California
When I was five my family had a 10 gallon fish tank with 1 pleco and 2 oscars (Not sure what my parents were thinking). One day the pleco was sucking on the glass but kind of out of the water. I though it was dead so took a spoon and put it in the toilet. It hit the water and started swimming. I went to get it out with the spoon and I accidentally crushed its back and parylized it. I started sobbing and flushed the toilet. Then like two weeks later the tank was on the ground and I knocked it over on accident and broke it. I don't remember what we did with the oscars. Unfortunently though I'm pretty sure i killed off that entire tank.

Jaws22

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2017
My first predatory fish were a pair of two inch senagalus and a pair of 3” BGKs. One of my sens snuck up on one of the knifes and grabbed it around the middle. Then the other one came up to help and they ripped it in two. All while my at-the-time 7 year old brother watched in horror.

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
The first fish I ever remember owning was when I was 17, it was a goldfish, I put him in a bowl on my table. He wasn’t very active (wonder why) so I bought him a Betta friend...the Betta picked every scale off that poor goldfish for several days before it eventually died. I ended up keeping the Betta fish in the bowl for a year or two when one day I went to school and seen something on the floor and didn’t stop to check bc I was late...got home and seen the something on the floor was my crispy Betta who jumped out of the bowl :-(

Insite

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2013
Atlanta
I spent many months trying to source some benthochromis tricoti for my tang tank. I finally got six & they started to color up nicely. Went on vacation for two weeks. Opened the door to my house & it smelled like dead fish.....

I had enough water evaporate that my sump level dropped below the thermostat. 1500w of heaters were measuring the temperature of my living room! The water was 97F. Several fish jumped out of a 2” opening at the back of the tank lid. Many more were floating. All but one tricoti were already dead. The last died a few days later. Oddly, all of the cyprichromis took it very hard.

Now I run heaters w/ internal thermostats all wired into a thermo controller with the pickup on the very bottom of the tank. Nightmare.

Reactions: GamerChick5567

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
That's a tough lesson to learn :(

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store