Flooded/soaked carpet

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Bummer, so sorry to see this, Frank. Fans & dehumidifier should get things dried out fairly quickly.

Reactions: jaws7777

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Water soaked through to the cement floor but didnt damage the walls. Baseboard and sheet rock are about 3/4 inch off the floor.

Still beed to figure this out. Do you guys think i have a chance of not having to move the tank ad just replacing the carpet around it ? Worried that the areas where the stand and sump are making contact on the wet rug will get all moldy

Funny thing man i was planning on setting up a drip....smh.

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
This might sound silly, but if the stand sits off the floor a bit you could try to get under it with a blow dryer. Its not ideal, its time consuming and makes your back ache if you do it long enough but it dries carpet pretty well. There was no mold under my 5' tank when we moved it and a hair dryer was all I used to dry under the tank stand when the filter hose burst off on me. The tank is 5' long and 17" wide and the hair dryer dried all the way from the front of the tank to the wall, even where the legs were there's no mold - l although that could of just been luck on my part, dunno.

The dryer should have a nozzle to direct air flow, if you can get the nozzle under the stand you're good to go - just remember to use the "cool" feature so you don't burn anything. :D

It sounds stupid but if you've got the time and patience (and a blow dryer) it works surprisingly well :)

Edit: I have old thick shag carpet, and this worked for me.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
This might sound silly, but if the stand sits off the floor a bit you could try to get under it with a blow dryer. Its not ideal, its time consuming and makes your back ache if you do it long enough but it dries carpet pretty well. There was no mold under my 5' tank when we moved it and a hair dryer was all I used to dry under the tank stand when the filter hose burst off on me. The tank is 5' long and 17" wide and the hair dryer dried all the way from the front of the tank to the wall, even where the legs were there's no mold - l although that could of just been luck on my part, dunno.

The dryer should have a nozzle to direct air flow, if you can get the nozzle under the stand you're good to go - just remember to use the "cool" feature so you don't burn anything. :D

It sounds stupid but if you've got the time and patience (and a blow dryer) it works surprisingly well :)

Edit: I have old thick shag carpet, and this worked for me.
Thx kitty andit doesnt sound stupid at all. I'll try it. Only issue is the sump its sitting on the carpet

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
Thx kitty andit doesnt sound stupid at all. I'll try it. Only issue is the sump its sitting on the carpet
Yeah that bit has me "sumped" for what you'd do :p

If the sump is heavy enough you could hope that the pressure from the weight pushing down allowed only minimal water to get under it, but I wouldn't hold my breath...

Anyways, good luck! :)

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; If you want carpet in the room with a tank my I suggest using a carpet without a pad under it. Also avoid a jute back which is organic. The carpet itself is most commonly a plastic product. Avoid wool or other organic carpets.
I guess it is too late now as it appears you have already cut the carpet, but it could have been reused. It is the pad under the carpet that holds the water.

Being on cement is a plus. There are lots of outdoor carpet types, from turfs to those that look more like a regular carpet.

Sorry for your troubles

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
if it was me I'd try the aforementioned jacking up of the stand and running a fan to dry up underneath. its a good thing you have a steel stand.

definitely lower your water level to about a third capacity to make things easier. just empty the sump completely and take it out for a while so you can get it all dry.

pain in the @$$ but not the end of the world. good luck

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
So i have some friends coming over. The plan is drain the tank move the fidh to another tank. Slide this one over amd remove the wet carpet.
Question :

Once dry would it be ok to sit the sump directly on the concret floor ? I would rather do it this way so i wont have to dismantle the bulkheads hust remove the unions connected to the plumbing.

Only way to get the sump out is remove the tank and having to disco the bulk heads they were a real pain to get tightened in the 1st place

JK47 JK47 ragin_cajun ragin_cajun soupa2 soupa2

shookONES

Casper... the not so friendly ghost
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Totowa, NJ
I'd try to rent a big circulation fan and dehumidifier if at all possible. I've caused my fair share of floods and none were bad enough to warrant taking down the tank and redoing the carpets.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store