Anyone else want a Fox as a pet?

Giant Val

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2017
Qld, Australia
I saw a TV program about a month ago about a person keeping foxes as pets in Australia.I think it was in NSW. Apparetly there are only a handful of permits available to keep foxes, and they wil be fazed out soon. Foxes are a feral pest n Aus. When in the house they seemed very playful and would run and jump between furnitue, climb curtains. A bit cat-like. When outside they had to be kept in large cages (permit condition).

Reactions: tlindsey

Snowflake311

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2010
Lake Tahoe, ca
HAHA My daughter wants one. This will help you understand what a Fox really is like .

Reactions: Coryloach

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
I know the Russians have semi-domesticated the Red Fox to the point that it acts very much like a dog and comes in a variety of colors. The problem is they're very expensive to import out of the country.
Hello; I know of that program. My recollection is it was about the commercially valuable silver fox fur also. It turned out as they selectively breed the more docile individuals that the foxes developed dog like characteristics. The kicker was indeed that the beautiful silver fur was also replaced by other colors of not much value.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Itsadeepbluesea

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2008
My wife any I have talked about this many times. The only problem is the only domesticated ones seem to be out of Russia and are very expensive. Would be need if the trade expanded and they became more available.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
U can get a wild type red fox or a golden jackal,their behavior and care is more catlike,but they like people they r familiar with

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Catlike....one would show up at work every now at night and try to eat the food that was provided for the family of feral cats that lived on the grounds.The cats would usually run the fox off at some point

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Thyroyalgeek

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2017
I want a lot of things. A black & white Argentinian tegu (300$), A Czech wolf dog, (2,000$), a fennec fox (1,800$), a saltwater tank (900$) , a toucan. Yes a toucan, not a toco, a green aracari but the cute little things are a flippin' 2,000 bucks for a chick. Pets are expensive.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
I want a lot of things. A black & white Argentinian tegu (300$), A Czech wolf dog, (2,000$), a fennec fox (1,800$), a saltwater tank (900$) , a toucan. Yes a toucan, not a toco, a green aracari but the cute little things are a flippin' 2,000 bucks for a chick. Pets are expensive.
No kidding,have u seen what a swan goes for now a days ?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store