Beani question

sbrady5pts

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2008
long island
whats the difference in the panuco vs San Pedro beani? I feel like often times many cichlids get a new location tag and the differences are very minor. Does anyone have both or comparison pics

Covetous

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2016
Florida
Let me start with, neither of these fish are mine nor are the pictures. Simply googlefied.

Now this Beani may not be Panuco but it’s my understanding that Panuco shows more of the honeycomb coloration of your normal beanie
CFAE0DC5-900B-4766-BB97-73D1A3453408.jpeg

Now the San Pedro Beanie are white. So you can see the big difference.
A54C0E51-BFA7-4898-9F1B-DEAEACF6A073.jpeg

Both are frighten gorgeous fish. Much much kudos to the owners of these two fish.

sbrady5pts

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2008
long island
They are both really nice! does anyone know if the "white" beani are really that white all the time or is that a special fish

dan518

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2014
uk
Both San Pedro and Panuco keep there respective colours, from what I have seen the barring comes more pronounced during breeding.

Reactions: Covetous

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Many beanii, as many other cichlids go thru plenty of color phases as they age, with seasons, and other facets of life.
below a normal female

now a female in breeding color

now a young male

same male older

location substrate and other geographical features will in many cases determine a groups color variation. If one has (for instance) a dark substrate, more dark individuals get to pass on those genes, because lighter individuals will be picked off faster by predators before those traits are passed along.
Take Chuco intermedia, my first group looked like this

next group, probably a different location variant, like this, which may be only a mile or two down the road

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store