Fishtank6575

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2017
Came home with.

2"- EBJD
2.5-3"- Ellioti
8- giant danios

Put the rotkeil and ebjd in the keyhole tank and the ellioti and danios in the acara tank.

Rotkeil can stay here if need be. Im aware of the difficulties with the ebjd but if I can grow him out he will be moved to the acara tank and fish will be removed to suit him.

If he doesnt make it then the acara and ellioti can have that tank. Its early but these 2 seem more evenly matched and atleast the ellioti fights back. They have went at it already with the acara on top.

virgil2090

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2011
NJ
Hope it works out for you! ellioti seems like a good choice.yeah EBJD can be sensitive when younger.cichlid communities can be alot of trial and error.the fish change as they mature,and the individual fish and sex also play a part.i also try to keep CA and SA cichlids separate,but many people make all kinds of combos work.I have a 90 gal. SA community with 2 gold sevs,2 chocolates,small GT and 1 red hump geo.nice mellow tank so far

Reactions: Fishtank6575

Fishtank6575

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2017
Thanks!

Im new to cichlids and dealing with all the aggression. Ive got the peaceful tetra like communities and tank maintenance down pretty good. I can keep healthy fish but the aggression is a challenge. A tank boss that just chases is not so bad and thats what i had with the festivum and angel in the tank. The festivum would just move out and shrug it off like nothing. The angel was stressed so I gave it away. When I removed those 2 fish things went down hill and were getting to violent for me. The tetras were 2 fast for the most part except for 1 that must have not been paying attention or something. The rotkeil who wasnt bothered while the other fish were in was now getting cornered and would have been killed if I didnt do something. Same with the sajica although he was so small he could get into cover.

Ill figure it out but so far Im back to just chasing. I put the festivum back in the ellioti and added the danios. He has allot to chase and nothing he can corner.

Im liking the ebjd so far, he is peaceful and very active.

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
Hope your new mix works out.
A little chasing won't hurt but to much chasing can stress fish out. There may be no physical damage but stress can lead to disease.if it gets constant I would seperate.
One more thing to be mindful of is jaw locking.
Two cichlids battling over territory will often end up in competitive bouts of jaw locking.
Eartheater fish like thorichthys will often come off badly should this happen. Their mouths have evolved to suit their feeding strategy of drawing in mouthfuls of substrate and filtering out food particles. A useful adaption but also a weakness when housed with other territorial cichlids.
Your acara will be more than capable of dislocating your maculipinnis /elliotis mouth.
Thorichthys tend to have a lot of front and will challenge other cichlids and sometimes their displays are enough to warn off competitors.
If this does not work and things get physical, Thorichthys normally come off badly.
Hopefully this situation won't occur and things work out ok.
Good luck.

Fishtank6575

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2017
The ellioti went into the tank like a mad man. As soon as he hit the water he was flaring and chasing. It was quite shocking as I was worried he was going to get beat down by the acara.

The acara was actually scared and swam to a corner and was swimming up and down trying to escape. With no where to go he eventually ended up in jaw lock with the ellioti. The acara won like you said but that hasnt happened since.

Neither seem interested in that again at this point and the ellioti just moves out of the acaras way. Ive got to get some weight on the ellioti as he looks thin and the acara is built like a brick.

We will see where this goes and I wont let it get out of hand.

Fishtank6575

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2017
This acara is paralyzed. He is only able to swim with his pectoral fins and drags his tail. He was perfectly fine this morning and the water is 0.0.10. What could be going on?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store