not a good start

bathawk

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2014
london
I lost one of those half banded eels I bought on saturday the most active one as well saw him last night on the substrate but seemed ok this morning saw him on his back bearly alive noticed a red streak near the anal area have had this before with newly bought algae eaters where 2 out of 6 deied within days of buying them . At first I could'nt find the other one as he had buried himself in the sand managed to catch him and check him he seems ok. Funny how the one that died was always on top of the substrate and never buried himself in the sand substrate was wondering wether he was too week in the first place

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I lost one of those half banded eels I bought on saturday the most active one as well saw him last night on the substrate but seemed ok this morning saw him on his back bearly alive noticed a red streak near the anal area have had this before with newly bought algae eaters where 2 out of 6 deied within days of buying them . At first I could'nt find the other one as he had buried himself in the sand managed to catch him and check him he seems ok. Funny how the one that died was always on top of the substrate and never buried himself in the sand substrate was wondering wether he was too week in the first place

If you didn't ask or see the new Eels eat it is a very strong possibility they were not in the best health when you purchased them or possibly infected bacterial or internal parasites .

bathawk

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2014
london
yes the remaining one seemed a bit more lively and was quite hard to catch I guess the real challenge is feeding at the moment I dont even know wher the other one is he has burrowed into the sand andthe tank is quite heavly planed

bathawk

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2014
london
the lfs I got the eels gave me a replacement I tried to pick the most active one I could see I guess the next hurdle will be to get them to eat

bathawk

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2014
london
Hi again I think I am about to loose second on of the first half banded eels I bought on 30th december this second one had a little white patch oh its nose was'nt too worried about it as I may have scratched it while burrowing yesterday this fish was fine this evening it looks a right state the back end of its body has turned white the tail is shredded and there is haemorrhageing in the body just tested the water ammonia 0 ppm nitrite 0 ppm nitrate is about 2.0 ppm ph is about 7.5 water temp is 27c could it be a batch of sick fish I climatesized them for almost 2 hours here is a photo I just took

DSC00532.JPG DSC00534.JPG

bathawk

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2014
london
some siamese algae eaters penguin tetras 2 redlizard catfish a female krib and some x ray tetras the red lizard catfish have a mouth like a pleo did wonder if they sucked on its slime coat as I know the commom pleco can do this

bathawk

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2014
london
no there were no circles it was just faded on one side and it had appeared to have been haemorrhageing the lower body these eels are quite fragile when young and new in an aquarium

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store