Plant suggestions and dip?

Steve_C

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2017
Royal Oak, Michigan
www.midwestcustomflyrods.com
I'm working on a pair of 120g tanks that will be home to mostly Polypterus, angelfish and geos and I plan to do both tanks with some live plants. Not what I would consider "fully planted" but yet more than just a couple here & there. Tanks are 24" tall (4x2x2) and lighting will be dual LED 10000k fixtures. Low tech so no co2 or anything such as that. Substrate will be sand, no fluorite or anything.

So far I am thinking mostly a couple types of anubias and java fern with maybe a bit of java moss for the tanks. Couple questions I have...

1- Other than the ones I mentioned are there any other plants that are good low tech plants that do well with roots above the substrate that I'm not thinking of?

2- I've only had plants in a couple tanks over the years and I have gotten snails from them in the past. I've been reading about dipping plants but there seems to be varying thoughts on what is safe to dip them in. Anyone have any suggestions of what/how to dip plants in that are tried & true?

Last edited:

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
P
I'm working on a pair of 120g tanks that will be home to mostly Polypterus, angelfish and geos and I plan to do both tanks with some live plants. Not what I would consider "fully planted" but yet more than just a couple here & there. Tanks are 24" tall (4x2x2) and lighting will be dual LED 10000k fixtures. Low tech so no co2 or anything such as that. Substrate will be sand fluorite or anything.

So far I am thinking mostly a couple types of anubias and java fern with maybe a bit of java moss for the tanks. Couple questions I have...

1- Other than the ones I mentioned are there any other plants that are good low tech plants that do well with roots above the substrate that I'm not thinking of?

2- I've only had plants in a couple tanks over the years and I have gotten snails from them in the past. I've been reading about dipping plants but there seems to be varying thoughts on what is safe to dip them in. Anyone have any suggestions of what/how to dip plants in that are tried & true?
Personally just have kept Java Fern and Anubias. http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/8...66695-dipping-your-plants.html#/topics/166695

Reactions: Steve_C

AshKetchum

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2013
New Jersey
personally i'd go with some with a lower kelvin rating, that blueish tint won't look very appealing to the eyes at all. I prefer anything from 6000-7500, much easier on the eye. As for the lighting LED, unless you go with SB Reef lights freshwater version, you wont get much penetration as 2' is pretty high for most commercially available LEDs. Lastly for the plants, if you dont want co2 anything like Java Ferns and the more common anubias will be fine and give a nice addition to the tank. Same thing as vallisneria, easy plant. Jungle Val is one i'd try to source locally, as it is a very finicky plant to ship (I work for an aquatic plant seller and we stopped selling them for that reason)

Reactions: tlindsey

Steve_C

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2017
Royal Oak, Michigan
www.midwestcustomflyrods.com
I've got run of the mill "Aquaneat" (ebay) LED's on my 30" deep tank and no problems at all with penetrating down that deep, so that's why I am going with these for the 24" deep tank. While they are low cost for LED they are actually a decent light with surprisingly good light penetration. I may go with the lower kelvin rating like you suggested though. While I do like the blue hue on my cichlid tanks I may not like it on these two tank for the non cichlids going in them.

Picked up the start of some live plants yesterday. One anubias that is about 8" tall then two that are around 6" tall. Affixed them to some wood and have them in a 29g Qt tank for the time being. Lots more plants to go but it's a start.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store