Suggestions for canister

Mark90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2017
My wife is tired of hearing the wet/dry filter in the living room. My original busted a leak, and I haven't gotten around to fixing it. I threw together a filter with Rubbermaid tubs that has actually worked pretty great. Downside is it is pretty loud. I have never used a canister filter, and am thinking of going that route for something new. Plus it'll free up the wet/dry once repair it for a new tank that she doesn't know about yet.

I am really just looking for bang for my buck canister filters. It's a 92g corner with 3 delhez I bichirs, their are temporary as I am looking to rehome them. And 4 - 3" clown loaches. A polleni cichlid will join once he puts on a couple inches.

The canister doesn't have to be silent, just quite enough to ignore. Like I said I've never used any,so I'm looking for solid suggestions. Thanks in advance.

monkeybike

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2015
I like my FX6 although the big Ehiems are pretty nice other than parts are pricey and a bit harder to get.

Reactions: tlindsey

markstrimaran

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2015
iowa
Does your wet/dry have a lid? My wet dry is quiet. The only noise is from a little giant pump, and an air pump.

Mark90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2017
Does your wet/dry have a lid? My wet dry is quiet. The only noise is from a little giant pump, and an air pump.
It does not. I have two sheets worth of 1/4 acrylic in the shed from an old chameleon cage I built years ago. I'm actually thinking of ordering some weld on and making a new filter system. I have acrylic hinges also. Thinking maybe a completely closed system, with a hinged/sealed lid, and bulkheads for the plumbing inlet/outket.

markstrimaran

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2015
iowa
1/4" acrylic will bow, I have 1/2" acrlic lids that span 12" x 22 inches, I flip them over twice a year when they start to bow.

Reactions: tlindsey

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
Like mentioned above, the FX6 and the Eheim 2262 are both good filters, but they’re also pricey. I have a SunSun 303B and really like it. You could probably get the SunSun 304B, which is the bigger version. They are very silent, and have a UV built in.

I’d also recommend you try to convert your sump to a submerged media type, and then setup your overflow as a herbie style setup. I run 1600gph through my 220 with a 55 gallon sump and it is absolutely silent. You can’t hear anything at all even when you’re standing right next to the tank.

Mark90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2017
I just ordered the sunsun304b. For $80 I can live with it if I end up hating canisters. But I'll give it a shot. I'll still design a new sump, taking the herbie style into consideration. Thank you.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store