Please... could you help ID this little guy

MariaS

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2015
South Africa
thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter ... thanks for the details and explanation.. much appreciated

Our biggest tank is 3.6m X 1.2M x 85cm ... 1000 gal
Sump is 160 gal.

Tank mates
Red Tail gold Arowana +/- 3.5 years old
5 rays
5 datnoids
1 Tigrinus catfish

Do you think I can give it a go and keep him?

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
I don't see much harm as you have a tank larger than average reported and I'm sure the hobby could use some more experience reported on this fish. However it's possible it could out grow the tank eventually as pointed out

Reactions: MariaS

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
Wow that's a nice setup, personally (going of what Viktor said) I wouldnt risk the aggression with a nice Asian.
Every fish is different tho, you could monitor him closely but be ready to divide him off and re-home if things turn bad.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter ... thanks for the details and explanation.. much appreciated

Our biggest tank is 3.6m X 1.2M x 85cm ... 1000 gal
Sump is 160 gal.

Tank mates
Red Tail gold Arowana +/- 3.5 years old
5 rays
5 datnoids
1 Tigrinus catfish

Do you think I can give it a go and keep him?
Based on my little experience and whatever little has been reported out there on MFK and PCF by actual keepers, I think the community should work out, except I'd not know what to make of the rays, not being a ray keeper and having read disturbing reports of what they (can) do with their barbed stingers.

I personally would not keep a fish over 2' in a 12'x4'x3' tank. But as I said, I am yet to see a captive raised 2'+ Sperata shown on MFK. I am sure keepers in Asia, India have large ones in their ponds.

My Sperata are not what I'd call swimmers, like IDS or paroon, or even TSN. They are more sedentary and resort to short occasional swims around the bottom. hey like to park in the flow. So that could help keep them in smaller tanks.

All in all, it's not easy to advise one way or the other. I personally would try it but I am curious and rather reckless... and it depends on your situation and character, what other tanks / ponds you have, your resourcefulness and monetary freedom, how you'd solve potential problems, would it be easy or hard for you, are you ok with a humane euthanasia of a fish (some resort to drugs or freezers, others, even experts, believe it or not, slam a fish as hard as they can on a concrete floor), what your market is like in South Africa for outgrown pet fish, etc.

MariaS

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2015
South Africa
I would like to thank you all for taking the time to share your thoughts and advice... much appreciated

thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter ... thanks for all the detailed advice...

I have given it a lot of thought and am returning the little guy tomorrow.. I think its the sensible thing to do
I love my Asian aros and my rays and despite the fact that the Red Tail Gold Aro is as nasty as a Jardini, I would not want to risk loosing them to aggression from something much bigger than them
A pond would not be an issue to build what works out extremely expensive here is the heating so at this stage it wouldn't happen
Humane euthanasia.. I can do.. have done... no problem..if I know its for a good cause..... it will be very difficult to do if it had to be done because I was reckless and kept him knowing it might happen..
The market is ok to sell him later but most of the times then that fish gets sold and changes hands over and over because people don't realize what they getting into
So.... I will skip this one and keep looking for something more sensible.... if I do find something.. I will probably knock at your door for advice again if you don't mind...
Thanks again

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store