Aggression and might be missing scales

jmf

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
Hi all,

I posted a few days ago about what I thought was missing scales on my smaller BP, but looking closer I decided it wasn't. I had separated both BP's with the smaller BP going into the new 60g and leaving the bigger in the 45g, so to heal what I thought was missing scales on the smaller one.

I added the bigger one into the 60g as both BP's looked so out of place without each other (they wouldn't come out of their caves etc). At first there was a little bit of lip locking for like 20 seconds.

After looking at the smaller BP again I'm now not sure and think it might be missing some scales due to biting from the larger. I have uploaded pics here (sorry about the bad quality). Also, is the red around the smaller BP throat and gills normal?

Also, is this normal behavior. The bigger one does this often. Should I be worried? If so would another BP or another fish help?

Thanks

Last edited:

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hi all,

I posted a few days ago about what I thought was missing scales on my smaller BP, but looking closer I decided it wasn't. I had separated both BP's with the smaller BP going into the new 60g and leaving the bigger in the 45g, so to heal what I thought was missing scales on the smaller one.

I added the bigger one into the 60g as both BP's looked so out of place without each other (they wouldn't come out of their caves etc). At first there was a little bit of lip locking for like 20 seconds.

After looking at the smaller BP again I'm now not sure and think it might be missing some scales due to biting from the larger. I have uploaded pics here (sorry about the bad quality). Also, is the red around the smaller BP throat and gills normal?

Also, is this normal behavior. The bigger one does this often. Should I be worried? If so would another BP or another fish help?

Thanks

The behavior is normal most all fish species establish a hierarchy. Tbh never kept BP's so don't know if aquarium is large enough for 3.

jmf

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
On another forum someone said they look like Kirin parrots. Can anyone comment?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store