Heaters for 240gallon

Steve_C

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2017
Royal Oak, Michigan
www.midwestcustomflyrods.com
1/4" acrylic lids for the main 3 openings, back couple inches of the tank are open as they are odd sizes and didn't come with lids. I considered this in a previous post on this thread about how the back filtration is laid out. I have a set of extra lids for the main openings, I thought about cutting them into make shift lids for the back, but really didn't think a few inches of openness would be enough to drop that much temp in that amount of water. We have more cold weather and potential snow over the next few days, I may saran wrap the back areas and see if anything changes temp wise.

Yeah I would tend to agree with ya I wouldn't think just a few inches open would make that much of a difference. I can't say for sure though, worth a try through covering it and seeing what happens.

Dixon81

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2008
Massachusetts
I run the InkBird 308 model with heating and cooling. I only use the heating part though.
Do you ever use the cooling side? Or was the wrong model bought by mistake. For the price you should think about getting the double heat model. Every time the heat comes one it alternates heaters.

I have a 180 display with a 40 gallon uncovered sump. House in winter is kept at 68-70 degrees. i have 2 -150 watt heaters that keep the tank pinned at 80 degrees. Even last week when it was -5 with windchill of -32 in Massachusetts.

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
Do you ever use the cooling side? Or was the wrong model bought by mistake. For the price you should think about getting the double heat model. Every time the heat comes one it alternates heaters.

I have a 180 display with a 40 gallon uncovered sump. House in winter is kept at 68-70 degrees. i have 2 -150 watt heaters that keep the tank pinned at 80 degrees. Even last week when it was -5 with windchill of -32 in Massachusetts.
I bought the 308 model because the guys over on SimplyDiscus recommended getting it over the 306 model because some of them had problems with the 306. I use two 300W AquaTop glass heaters, and I don’t mind that they both come on at the same time. Plus, in the winter time, my water usually drops up to 10 during a water change, because I have to use part hose water to finish filling it, and the hose water gets down near 40-45 here. In the summer though, the water is 70 and I can use it without the need to supplement it with hot water.

finadic

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 20, 2015
2 Ebo Jagger 300 wart on each side should work well, I’ve used them for many years, & seem to work well. Worth the extra money.

cjdesmit

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2010
USA, Indiana
I bought the 308 model because the guys over on SimplyDiscus recommended getting it over the 306 model because some of them had problems with the 306.
Do you recall what problems they were having? Was about to grab a 306 as its a bit cheaper and already has dual heat outlets. You would think the two models would essentially work the same...

Dixon81

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2008
Massachusetts
Can someone explain to me how the heat/heat version works compared to the cool/heat version? Is there a high setting in the unit that would turn the cooler on when the tank reaches a high temp?

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
Do you recall what problems they were having? Was about to grab a 306 as its a bit cheaper and already has dual heat outlets. You would think the two models would essentially work the same...
I think they were having some failure issues, but I don’t know if it was unit failure or probe failure. They are supposed to operate the same as far as heating goes.

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
Can someone explain to me how the heat/heat version works compared to the cool/heat version? Is there a high setting in the unit that would turn the cooler on when the tank reaches a high temp?
The heat/heat version is just a heater version with two heat outlets. I believe you can set the heat outlets to different channels so each one operates under different parameters , but you don’t have to.

The heat/cool version has an outlet for heating and an outlet for cooling. You plug a heater into the heat outlet and a chiller into the cool outlet. Then, say your temp is at 80 on an outside tank, and the temp differential is set to 1 degree. If it gets cool and the tank drops to 79, then it will kick the heater on until it gets back up to 80. Likewise, if it gets warmer out and the tank gets up to 81, the InkBird will turn the chiller on until the temp gets back down to 80.

BMac91

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2011
Alabama
So I reset the InkBird to factory and reconfigured to the 1 degree differential. It kicked on right away, as the temp had gotten down to 77.5.
I guess I was more so hoping it would maintaIn 80.0, as in it dropped below 80.0, let me kick the heaters in again or even .5 degrees, it kind of irks me that it has to drop an entire degree before it will turn them back on.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store