Endilicheri... Why does he like to jump:(

JDH Aquatics

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2017
Woke up to a dried up Endilicheri on the floor behind the tank... UGH..

In the 220g, he jumped the weir and made it behind the box... Last night, I moved him and my delhezi into their new tank and this morning I found him dead and dried up on the floor.

I've never seen any of my lower jaw bichirs try and climb out of the water.. Everyone was doing great.. is it a lower jaw thing, or will ALL bichirs try and get out??

Sad day for me I've grown him from 2" to 5".. Now hes gone. UGH.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
All polys jump when small especially and going up to gulp for air. Keep lids tight and then recheck often.

Sorry for the loss.

JDH Aquatics

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2017
Yeah, he got out in the opening of where my sump overflow box goes into the tank. I'll have to build a block off area there.

UGH..

I went to bed afraid he may jump, I guess it's my fault, I knew it could happen... Planned to do something about it today.. He beat me to it. :(

thefredpit

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
United States
I've lost 2 ropes to jumping and I've had my 7" ornate hit the glass lids so hard it knocked the lid aside flew through the air the lid fell back in place and he landed on top of the lid luckily I was standing there. I was also at a store when a kid walked ba a tank and spooked a 14" lap that jumped knocking the lid back and almost hitting the kid scaring the hell out of them.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Sorry thats sucks.

They're all equally suicidal.

The other day the kids and i were doing a wc and watch our teug and congicus repeatedly try and jump. The tanks acrylic so theres no lids and the rims are sealed other wise they would have soaked the room

Alexkoj

Aimara
MFK Member
Sep 30, 2017
The Lion City
If i may offer a differing viewpoint - none of my bichirs have had suicidal tendencies and my 120gs have been uncovered for the last 7 years. neither the CB or WC bichirs (big or small) have jumped or even attempted to jump. from what little i know, bichirs only tend to jump (whether going up for air or just jumping for the sake of escaping) when they are (i) stressed or (ii) in an overcrowded tank or (iii) the water conditions have changed suddenly or isn't of good quality.

With regards to the stressed portion, i have almost always observed WC bichirs who have recently been transferred to aquariums for sale attempting to jump multiple times even after realising that there were solid lids covering the tanks.

Again, this is just my experience which perhaps is an exception rather than the norm. Just thought it may have been worth sharing :)

Reactions: jaws7777
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store