Coralife Aqualight High Output T5 Dual

flyalaska

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2011
Lodi, CA
I have a 40 gallon breeder. In need of a light. I am thinking of a Coralife Aqualight High Output T5 Dual. Is that too much light for my tank?
This is a new setup, doesn't even have the water in it yet. I plan to add a Convict, Fire Mouth and a Electric Blue JD. Black Gravel if that matters. I don't want LED. I went down that road, wasn't happy with the results. I want to go with T5. I was thinking that a nice T5 light with black gravel the JD would show some nice colors.

Thanks in advance!

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
The light should be fine, although the tank will eventually be too small for those cichlids. And EBJds are quite sensitive and not aggressive enough to hang with most convicts or even the fire mouth, (which I consider quite passive).
You'd be better off with 2 or 3 young EBJDs in such a small tank.
Firemouths usually do best in groups of 4 or 5 of their own kind, but again, that tank is only large enough to grow some young ones temporarily, until you get something bigger, maybe a 75 or 100 gal.
If you decide to put all 3 in, be sure the EBJD is the largest, and add them all on the same time so they can work out a territorial situation among themselves.
All 3 have very territorial nature, and may carve out a place for themselves, and if all added the same day, may deal with whats available without blood shed.

Last edited:
Reactions: tlindsey

flyalaska

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2011
Lodi, CA
Thanks for the input. I will be getting a 90 gallon this summer. I had a 40 gallon sitting around, itching to put something in it. I'm okay without the Fire mouths or Convicts.

Allan01230

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2006
Michigan
I had that same light on my 50 gallon it was too bright all my fish larger barbs hid all the time I put a small fluorescent light from a ten gallon on it now the fish are always out and about there are some dark areas of the tank but they seem to appreciate that

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I would agree those can be very bright, so if you do use it, it may be a good idea to add a few bunches of floating plants like water sprite, or elodea, etc. This will diffuse the direct light and offer a bit of security for the JDs.
If you must have other fish, in nature JDs watch the actions of live bearers such as swordtails, mollies and gambusia to judge the threat of danger, and in a tank ithat often brings JDs out of the constant hiding mode.
Video of JDs and species they live with, in nature below.
Eden2

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store