Pump Sizing

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
So I am trying to figure out pump sizing to get 2,000gph for an ultima 1,000 in a 8x4x 30in (tall) aquarium (~535g). Never having to do this I have been googling and trying to figure this out. Below is a link to a head loss calculator that I used and either most people undersize or I am making this too complicated. My plan was to use a reeflo super dart gold which is a highly rated pump. The plan was the following:
- Use 1.5in plumbing for most of it. I might need to tape down to 1in or 3.4in for outputs into the tank. I want to have 3 outputs
- I am planning on have two intakes which probably will each be 1.5in.
- The goal was to get about 2,000gph and then eductors to create significantly more flow in the tank essentially getting me to high flow as 2,000gph is probably not sufficient for a 535g
- The tank will be 30in tall, and expecting the stand to be 36in tall. Essentially probably need about 8ft of plumbing to each output, one T for splitting the line, and the 2 elbows per output.
- Like I mentioned, I want to use eductors but looks like this adds pressure to the pump and needs to be considered.

Let me know what you guys think, or any advice on how to approach this.

https://pentairaes.com/pump-calculator

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
JK47 JK47 hate to keep pestering you, but think you probably know this. Love the pics in the other 180g plumbing topic going on right now. Had to mark that thread as watched :)

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
JK47 JK47 hate to keep pestering you, but think you probably know this. Love the pics in the other 180g plumbing topic going on right now. Had to mark that thread as watched :)
No worries. The gold dart is 4300 gallons per hour. You get a high percentage of that as these pumps handle head height and restrictions rather well. The table you posted doesn’t make sense to me honestly. Sorry. I can tell you that model pump has more than enough flow to handle the next size up Ultima (2000). I run mine wide open and am well ahead of 2k, each.

The pics from last night:

15A02CCB-254C-4E3D-9985-C993F12C8362.jpeg 7D692CAF-CD92-4D14-A5BC-B45F4B606896.jpeg 39DA94B5-26D2-4DC9-BCCA-3FAACE29D562.jpeg A65CB16B-A87A-466F-A2C3-FAA47CA40057.jpeg 152009C2-7B5A-4069-BB32-35211F20F258.jpeg DFB1B2A4-0A68-433D-8E9B-5C89E4CCF717.jpeg

Last edited:

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
JK47 JK47 Looks like the one problem I will have is if I want to run eductors. I found reefers using them but sounds like you need pumps that can handle more pressure than the super dart. I would have to run a barracude essentially. Probably easier to just get some powerheads/wavemakers to increase flow.

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
JK47 JK47 Looks like the one problem I will have is if I want to run eductors. I found reefers using them but sounds like you need pumps that can handle more pressure than the super dart. I would have to run a barracude essentially. Probably easier to just get some powerheads/wavemakers to increase flow.
Agreed. I run one of those too and can tell you it would render a 1000 model useless. Too much flow to trap mech.

Forgive the wire mess and trash bags it’s still under construction. Cable cleanup is next. This is on a sump, not an Ultima.

56959107-084C-4138-A177-526822C3D9C0.jpeg

Reactions: DN328

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
Your stuff that requires "cleanup" is cleaner than my clean stuff. I hope with the new tank to spend more time up front making things simple.

I figured the eductor would just add lots of flow but considering it does not change to flow going through the filter I did not think it would have an impact. I will probably have to play with power heads, or just settle on having the 3x turnover I would get from the ultima.

My bigger issue is still how to do a finer substrate so I don't need to gravel vac, but not have it so fine that it goes into intakes. I was thinking of doing bottom drilled with the intakes say 4-5in off the bottom. I would then put some sort of decoration to hide the intake but not hinder it. Something like ohko/dragonstone.

Reactions: JK47

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
Your stuff that requires "cleanup" is cleaner than my clean stuff. I hope with the new tank to spend more time up front making things simple.

I figured the eductor would just add lots of flow but considering it does not change to flow going through the filter I did not think it would have an impact. I will probably have to play with power heads, or just settle on having the 3x turnover I would get from the ultima.

My bigger issue is still how to do a finer substrate so I don't need to gravel vac, but not have it so fine that it goes into intakes. I was thinking of doing bottom drilled with the intakes say 4-5in off the bottom. I would then put some sort of decoration to hide the intake but not hinder it. Something like ohko/dragonstone.
Thanks man. That setup is almost done. Crazy setup, 10k flow with massive mechanical filter.

An idea I’ve been kicking around is to have three intakes. Two in the mid wall to avoid sucking up substrate. The third through the bottom. Both can be opened and closed via ball valve. The bottom one used during back wash, the middle wall ones during filtration. Just an idea for you to mull over.

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
Thanks. I want the tank up against the wall so there is no pipe viewable. This forces me to do everything through the bottom. Not sure I can do this without overflow boxes and sump.

If I have to do plumbing on the back I’ll probably have to take 6in of the width so from 48in to 42in. Not something I really want to do.

Trying to think if I can do something with overflow boxes which also let me hide heaters. Hence the reason I like hmf combo approach. We will see.

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
Thanks. I want the tank up against the wall so there is no pipe viewable. This forces me to do everything through the bottom. Not sure I can do this without overflow boxes and sump.

If I have to do plumbing on the back I’ll probably have to take 6in of the width so from 48in to 42in. Not something I really want to do.

Trying to think if I can do something with overflow boxes which also let me hide heaters. Hence the reason I like hmf combo approach. We will see.
The concept I described would work through the bottom as well. One taller stand pipe and one shorter. Tall = filter, short = backwash. You wont be able to backwash the filter if you plumb it to the overflow box so that problem exists no matter how we dice it.

Have you considered that if you plan to run a sump as well?

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
Considering all options really. The problem I have with running a sump and ultima is that if I do all plumbing through the bottom, that is at least 4 drains and 4 returns. That sounds like a lot of holes to put in the bottom panel of a tank, especially if most are suppose to be hidden behind overflows (6 in over flows and 2 ultima drains somewhere else in the tank).

This is why prefer a HMF style filter over sump. With HMF I do 2 drain for auto drip and 2 returns for the ultima split between each corner HMF. The drain for ultima is in the middle of the tank.

This gives me filter redundancy and a closed looped system, but I will need to clean sponges once a year or so.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store