Endilicheri... Why does he like to jump:(

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
If i may offer a differing viewpoint - none of my bichirs have had suicidal tendencies and my 120gs have been uncovered for the last 7 years. neither the CB or WC bichirs (big or small) have jumped or even attempted to jump. from what little i know, bichirs only tend to jump (whether going up for air or just jumping for the sake of escaping) when they are (i) stressed or (ii) in an overcrowded tank or (iii) the water conditions have changed suddenly or isn't of good quality.

With regards to the stressed portion, i have almost always observed WC bichirs who have recently been transferred to aquariums for sale attempting to jump multiple times even after realising that there were solid lids covering the tanks.

Again, this is just my experience which perhaps is an exception rather than the norm. Just thought it may have been worth sharing :)
Thats interesting and could very well be true. Ive had 2 jump and make it out of the tank. One was definitely stressed as there was a power failure and the water was very cold. The other happened over night for no apparent reason.

Something could have spooked ops endli and caused a flight reaction

Reactions: Alexkoj

Steve_C

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2017
Royal Oak, Michigan
www.midwestcustomflyrods.com
Sorry to hear about you losing him :(

I almost lost my Del about 3 weeks ago. I woke up to find him a good 8ft from the tank not breathing and eyes almost white. I was heartbroken so just on a chance I held him back in the tank upright and after a minute or two he started breathing again and then stayed upright on his own. Took him a few days to start eating again and moving around, but after about 10 days he was back to normal and good as new. I think I lucked out.

Mine defiantly was not from stress or water conditions. At the time he was the only one in the tank and parameters stay consistent with weekly wc's. I think what happened with mine is he got between the long canister intake tube and the corner of the tank and then just shot upward and out the 1" opening near the intake tube.

Needless to say my tanks are 100% covered now.

thefredpit

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
United States
If i may offer a differing viewpoint - none of my bichirs have had suicidal tendencies and my 120gs have been uncovered for the last 7 years. neither the CB or WC bichirs (big or small) have jumped or even attempted to jump. from what little i know, bichirs only tend to jump (whether going up for air or just jumping for the sake of escaping) when they are (i) stressed or (ii) in an overcrowded tank or (iii) the water conditions have changed suddenly or isn't of good quality.

With regards to the stressed portion, i have almost always observed WC bichirs who have recently been transferred to aquariums for sale attempting to jump multiple times even after realising that there were solid lids covering the tanks.

Again, this is just my experience which perhaps is an exception rather than the norm. Just thought it may have been worth sharing :)
I can say that both times I actually witness the jumps it was caused by them spooking when someone walked by the tank

Reactions: Alexkoj

JDH Aquatics

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2017
Thanks guys. The Endi is gone, but my Senegals, Ornate and Delhezi are still in the tank and doing great.

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
I can say that both times I actually witness the jumps it was caused by them spooking when someone walked by the tank
This happened once with my old delhezi. I had to go into the room after dark, turned the light on and the del jumped. Managed to get out of an opening where the hob filter was. I got it off the carpet and back into the tank quickly and got the hole covered up in plastic. So Ive had the spooked jumper myself.

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
J JDH Aquatics , so sorry to hear about the loss. Been there, lost a nice wc Koliba lap. It really bummed me out for a while. Thankfully friends like J jaws7777 helped me through and encouraged me to keep going in the hobby. Love the support from our poly friends. Hang in there.

Reactions: jaws7777
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store