Flower ray research

gorak

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
mn
I am looking at getting a trio soon. I have raised many rays in the past. I know they can be harder to raise. My questions are is the temp to keep them at lower then most rays? I dont remember witch has a lower temp. Also has any new info been gain in how to keep them better since a handful of years ago? I was going to get some a handful of years ago but didnt because it seemed most didnt last long and we were all still learning about them.

Bluebarry

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2011
China
pretty sure lots of info on the thread, im no expert but raised a flower back in the days. All same parameters from a typical ray set up but i just found them not as aggressive eaters and more sensitive to change. Easier stressed/ bites dont heal as quickly etc , as for temp i always had a steady 29-30 with no issues

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
I have no experience with them. But they are definitely on my list of rays to own. When you get them, please create a growout thread i would like to watch them progress.

calgaryflames

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2009
calgary
Warmer temps for sure. Keep at no lower than 25 degrees. I actually bred mine with a snow leopard before I lost him. Unfortunately the pup died shortly after birth.
I’m also interested in possibly getting another .these are from my experience very difficult to keep use reverse osmosis for the first few years until it’s trained to eat prepared foods. Usually they only take worms or live at first. Beautiful rays I miss mine :(
I’ve had not much problems getting them to eat after arriving but keeping them alive long term is not easy and not done by many.

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Calgary flames! Haven't seen that name on the forum in years. I recent acquired some descendents of one of your bloodlines. Gorgeous fish, compliments to your work.

Are you still keeping rays? Great to hear from you on the forum.

Last edited:
Reactions: Matteus and SHARK13

gorak

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
mn
Thanks for the info

I am still at the if stage. I have been thinking as I may wait until my pond is built. Otherwise I would have to move them from one tank into the pond or from one tank into another then I to the pond depending on when I get them. Also what stage my basement finishing is. I am well on my way but there is still alot of work to get the pond space ready.

Def a ray I want to keep, jist on the fence as currently I would be selling my current rays and getting them. Dont know if I want to put it all in them. Or maybe I should put it all in them so I can focus on them.

gorak

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
mn
I currently have a marble and a Motoro pair

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store