anyone ever let brown algae cover all sides of aquarium?

Adictd2Fsh

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2018
I let algae cover decorations and the bottom of a bare bottom tank but not the sides. I figured it would just help the tank like a planted tank. I had a flowerhorn in that same tank for three years that grew 12 or 13 inches with a massive kok the size of a grapefruit.

Adictd2Fsh

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2018
Galantspeedz, I thought I read somewhere that was supposed to be a ray tank. It looks pretty good. Careful tho that flowerhorn may someday murder everything in that tank. LOL.

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
Yeah it's gonna be a ray tank.

All the cichlids (10) are for cycling the tank. Once I get my rays, the cichlids will be going back their own tank.

Only the newly bought flagtail will remain for algae control purposes

I also added another 3kg of bio media.. bringing a total of about 15kg of bio media excluding sponge

You can see the thread under setup & filtration
Pick up for the new year

Adictd2Fsh

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2018
I think it looks awesome.How do you get so much growth?
Leave your lights on 12+ hours a day it will grow crazy or put your tank by a window.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Leave your lights on 12+ hours a day it will grow crazy or put your tank by a window.
That is what I dont do lol.I hardly have my tank lights on throughout the day.

Adictd2Fsh

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2018
That is what I dont do lol.I hardly have my tank lights on throughout the day.
Yep my tanks are on a timer they come on a few hours in morning and a few hours at night. Saves on power bill and the algae stays away. my sister has a huge tank full of rainbow fish with large rocks on the bottom. she cleans everything but the rocks and the algae on them is like 4" - 5" tall. its tuned into moss and it looks totally cool!

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Yeah I'll bet that it does.I have always liked the look of wavy green algae covering the rocks and wood.

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
Brown algae is diatoms. They don't last as they are caused by raised levels of ammonia/ammonia spikes. If they last, you have a problem. If you leave it uncleaned, the diatom phase will die out. The left over film will eventually get colonised by proper green algae, and the lot will turn green. I have a hillstream tank so I am trying to grow algae on purpose in there. It doesn't look good and I can barely see the fish as I don't bother cleaning the front glass either in order to provide more surface area. But the fish are happy and healthy.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store