Cheap plants, less nitrate! POTHOS

adamjavaguy

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2016
central java indonesia
Quick question, I've two empty overhead filter boxes(originally filled with ceramic rings) that I plan to fill with pothos.. Do I need to add substrate or growing medium like hydroton?
Is it ok to just fill the ohf with pothos and only flowing water from filtered tank water?
Water only is fine dude

burntrubber

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2010
You could also let it float on the water but if it gets too near the light the leaves might get burnt.

narayanang76

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2016
Bangalore, India
I have POTHOS in my sump tank, inside the stand (darkness most of the time). It is only 2-3 weeks I started this experiment to see if pothos is able to survive in my sump tank, and I can already see the plant is growing nicely, roots are spreading a lot and the new steam and leaves are much larger in size and growing fast.

I am only providing total one hour of lighting for the whole day, I have kept a timer for the lights within the stand. I found this to be sufficient for the plant and I didn't want algae inside my sump due to continuous lighting.

After a week or so, I will share my findings on (any) effects its having on the water parameters, mainly nitrate levels.

A pic attached for reference:
Sump-media-chamber.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Deadliestviper7

clearwater

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2018
I have a bunch of lucky bamboo, pothos and peace lily in a 2'x1' storage container. My canister filters pump the water into that container. Water will go through all the plants before it returns to the tank. I also use Koi clay so the water is always clear, no smells. Plants are growing well with just natural light source. Nitrates still within 20-40 range the whole time.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
I have a bunch of lucky bamboo, pothos and peace lily in a 2'x1' storage container. My canister filters pump the water into that container. Water will go through all the plants before it returns to the tank. I also use Koi clay so the water is always clear, no smells. Plants are growing well with just natural light source. Nitrates still within 20-40 range the whole time.
Sorry if I missed this, but what was your range prior to the plants? Just trying to assess if the difference is worth it.

I had thought to do this at one point but results from others were inconclusive at best.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store