Ich? Fungus? Bacteria? on my Prianha

SwissTrees

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2016
Ohio
Well I posted this in the piranha section but figured it would get more views on health issues in this forum.
I first thought this was Ich. Then some other forum members said it did not look (or sound like ich). I first noticed it about a month and a half ago, maybe slightly longer. It has never spread to any other place on his body other than this one section in the picture. After it never went away, I Cranked up the heat to 88F (its been that temp for 15 days now)

I figured if it was ich it would speed up the life cycle and would have at least fallen off by now back into the water. Never happened. Added salt 3 days ago to see if that helps. Thats where I am now. He has never shown any "signs" of illness. He is always swimming around the tank and active and still eats like a vacuum cleaner. Only an occasional flick on a plant as if he was scratching it20180103_161901 (1).png 20180103_161901 (1).png

What do you guys think?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Well I posted this in the piranha section but figured it would get more views on health issues in this forum.
I first thought this was Ich. Then some other forum members said it did not look (or sound like ich). I first noticed it about a month and a half ago, maybe slightly longer. It has never spread to any other place on his body other than this one section in the picture. After it never went away, I Cranked up the heat to 88F (its been that temp for 15 days now)

I figured if it was ich it would speed up the life cycle and would have at least fallen off by now back into the water. Never happened. Added salt 3 days ago to see if that helps. Thats where I am now. He has never shown any "signs" of illness. He is always swimming around the tank and active and still eats like a vacuum cleaner. Only an occasional flick on a plant as if he was scratching itView attachment 1294216 View attachment 1294217

What do you guys think?

Not Ich. Looks Bacterial but not sure will let others chime in with their analysis.

SwissTrees

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2016
Ohio
Dang, no other inputs on this? Tlindsey, say it is bacterial...how would I treat something like that? Im kind of at a loss here. Posted on other forums too and no one can put a finger on it :(

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Looks Bacterial but not sure
Tlindsey, say it is bacterial
hello; do not jump to it being bacterial so quickly. It appears you have misread tlindsey's comment.

hello; have the spots spread or gotten bigger?

hello; There are two or three approaches you can take. One is to get the water and tank conditions in good shape and see if the fish gets better on it's own. Keep an eye on the spots.

If you have a QT then the fish can be isolated for either treatment or to hopefully keep the infection/skin condition from spreading.

You can try some treatments but bear in mind the handling and exposure to chemical meds can be hard on a fish. Treating a condition without having an idea about what it is can be risky on it's own. With that said a basic approach for skin problems can be a methylene blue dip. I suggest doing some research on the stuff before deciding.

Reactions: tlindsey

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
it's already there a month and a half.. if it is anything bad... your fish would have shown signs of it to you

i will just leave it alone

SwissTrees

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2016
Ohio
do not jump to it being bacterial so quickly. It appears you have misread tlindsey's comment.
Sorry I meant to say IF it were bacterial, how would one go about treating something like that as I have never had to deal with anything of that nature .

have the spots spread or gotten bigger?
I stated in my original post, it has never spread to any other location (than the area in the pic) in over a month of monitoring it. And he is the only fish in the tank. They dont seem to have grown in size but its hard to tell has i can tell he HIMSELF has grown over the 1.5 months lol.

Ill keep an eye on it. water changes weekly have been done since he was added to the tank.

SwissTrees

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2016
Ohio
it's already there a month and a half.. if it is anything bad... your fish would have shown signs of it to you

i will just leave it alone
Yeah thats what baffled me. Other than an occasional flashing(and I have to be watching him almost all day to catch him do it eve once) he acts like nothing is wrong.

Maybe ill just keep the temps where they are and do another dosing of salt and just keep my fingers crossed.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Hard to say. Don’t look like much but maybe lymphocystis. Seen some smooth lymph lesions looking like this before. If it is this then should go away. Takes some time. Good thing is it’s eating and acting normal.

As mentioned by S skjl47 not a bad choice of approach with a MB dip. MB isn’t too strong and good for external disease. Once back in the tank the Mb should get diluted out.

Can try a methylene dip and salt dip (4tsp in a gallon for salt) and sit in the bath for 15-30 min as tolerated. Can mix salt and MB in a bucket. See how it responds. If the fish stresses then return ASAP to the main tank.

SwissTrees

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2016
Ohio
As mentioned by S skjl47 not a bad choice of approach with a MB dip. MB isn’t too strong and good for external disease. Once back in the tank the Mb should get diluted out.
Can try a methylene dip and salt dip (4tsp in a gallon for salt) and sit in the bath for 15-30 min as tolerated. Can mix salt and MB in a bucket. See how it responds. If the fish stresses then return ASAP to the main tank.
Thanks! I think im going to try this dip. Ill follow up with any results

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
Yeah thats what baffled me. Other than an occasional flashing(and I have to be watching him almost all day to catch him do it eve once) he acts like nothing is wrong.

Maybe ill just keep the temps where they are and do another dosing of salt and just keep my fingers crossed.
Yes I rather keep up with temperature, water change and salt

Medicine should always be the last choice

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store