Can you have an overflow box too big?

Niners4952

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2016
I am going to be doing my first salt water tank, it's small its a 36 gallon corner bow front. I am going to be using a sump and drilling the tank and getting an overflow box. I am looking into the Eshopps eclipse mode;s. They have 3 models going small to large. Since the prices are really close no matter the size I wanted the large model as I could have a bean animal setup since it has 3 drains. I didn't know if that would be overkill since its rated at 1000gph. The other 2 have 2 holes for a herbie rated at 600 of 800. I wanted one with the least amount of noise

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
I am going to be doing my first salt water tank, it's small its a 36 gallon corner bow front. I am going to be using a sump and drilling the tank and getting an overflow box. I am looking into the Eshopps eclipse mode;s. They have 3 models going small to large. Since the prices are really close no matter the size I wanted the large model as I could have a bean animal setup since it has 3 drains. I didn't know if that would be overkill since its rated at 1000gph. The other 2 have 2 holes for a herbie rated at 600 of 800. I wanted one with the least amount of noise
In my experience the HOB overflow underperform a bit. I go one size larger but that is a personal preference. CPR is the brand I use for HOB. You can have one be too big but if you are using an aqua lifter, that negates the problem

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
If you are going to be drilling the tank, I am not sure why you feel the need for an overflow box.
I can see putting a weir in front of the drilled hole, but the box seems unnecessary.
Maybe I just don't get the drift.
Here's an overflow box, where a siphon is used because the tank isn't drilled.

Niners4952

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2016
I don't want to use a hob overflow and rely on a siphon, the drilled box is really compact on the inside and is a cleaner look

Niners4952

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2016
Think I might just get the medium, I would only have to 1 hole would would love some more input

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
No it won't hurt to go bigger. It will allow more flow if you so choose to add a bigger return pump. With that just be careful to not go to big ( pump size) as the water in your sump needs "dwell time" the time to interact with the live rock for biological filtration to occur. I would go with the biggest one that will fit your tank and not take up to much room. The larger ones will handle lower flow but the smaller one won't handle higher flow. And yes you need an overflow or a weir you want a lid on the in tank portion also to stop snails and light from getting in. If you are keeping corals the excess light spilling into the overflow will cause algae to grow in the overflow this could cause it to clog. Those are really nice and there is another brand I found on ebay also search ghost overflow. They are made in the USA look real nice. If I didnt get the great deal on my 180 reef ready I'd have used those.

Niners4952

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2016
Thank you so much for taking the time on that great write up. Being my take is only 36 gallons I don't plan on a large return pump. I was also worried about going too big on the overflow cause my aquarium glass is not that thick. I was going to go with the Shadow overflow but my glass was not thick enough.

narayanang76

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2016
Bangalore, India
I am using Bean Animal Overflow with 3 drains and is super quite. You wouldn't even realize that the tank is running. I got holes drilled on the side glass of the tank (custom built 220 G) in order to avoid drilling holes on the larger back glass. You can control the circulation with the return pump volume/flow.

Edit: As per my understanding, Bean Animal is an enhanced version of Herbie, so both should work silently.

Reactions: twentyleagues
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store