Flow for X-Large tanks?

4wheelvfr

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2008
Southern Illinois
I'm looking for some recommendations for powerheads for my largest tank, which is 8'x4'x4'. I've got quite a bit of rock work along the back of the tank and there are plenty of dead zones in the tank now. The only circulation at the moment is the return from my sump which is from a Water Blaster HY10000 (2600gph). For those of you with larger tanks, what would you recommend on a modest budget?

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
if you have internal overflows/weirs like my 450 you can attach the magnets to the thinner wall on either side of the overflow. that's what i did since the acrylic was way to thick to have it on the outer panes

4wheelvfr

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2008
Southern Illinois
if you have internal overflows/weirs like my 450 you can attach the magnets to the thinner wall on either side of the overflow. that's what i did since the acrylic was way to thick to have it on the outer panes
This is a plywood build so the best place will probably be in a corner on the glass window.

4wheelvfr

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2008
Southern Illinois
I just ordered a Seapora AquaPulse 30 from Premium Aquatics. Over 5000 gph for that price with positive initial reviews....had to try it. We'll see what kind of movement I get. I just want to keep the water moving at the bottom of the tank and to eliminate dead spots around the rock work in the back. All my fish are stream caught native fish except my Luteus pleco, so they all like some flow too.

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA

knobhill

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
May 2, 2007
IN A PLACE
I wanted to add flow to my 1100g and got this for $30 on amazon: SunSun JVP-402A 6340GPH Dual Aquarium Wavemaker Powerhead with Suction Cup https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008EKKSPU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_cqwzAbJVN2QN1

I placed it at the top of my tank point down to blast any debris in the rocks/dw.
Here is a video of it in action:

You can see the food gets pushed to the front of the tank instead of getting caught in the rocks.

I have this pump exactly 1 year.

Reactions: pacu mom

4wheelvfr

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2008
Southern Illinois
I'm hoping I can get the same effect from the powerhead I just ordered. It doesn't have as much output gph, but then my tank is a bit smaller so I think it should help.
I've never thought about eductor or venturi nozzles for my returns, but I'm definitely going to give them a whirl. I need to change my returns anyway. I have them spraying into the tank which causes a ton of bubbles in the water column. The aeration is nice, but I'm sure the tank is aerated just fine in the sump and also by the surface area itself.

TwoHedWlf

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2017
New Zealand
Tunzes are great, but expensive. For a cheaper option something like Jebao RWs are good for something like a quarter the price. Similar(ish) style to the Tunzes. For that size a few RW20s which are rated to 20,000 LPH should get you a lot of flow.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store