TANK STOCKING???

Gabriel_Martucci

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2018
I have a 180 gallon (681 letters) tank and dont what i want to put in. Its bare bottom right but i might change that it is 48in long 24in wide and 36in tall . I want a lot of things like.... Florida gar Needle nose gar (Needle fish) Oscar Paratilapia polleni or bleekeri (Stray night ciclhid) Red hook silver dollar bicher I cant have all of thees fish but I want to . I want a Florida gar the most but the tank might not be big enough. I would like to have a camunaty tank with some of thees fish I would love hear some suggestions from you thanks

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Hello, unfortunately at 48"x24", footprint is not very big, the height gives alot of volume. These fish need width & length more than height. Definitely no florida gar in that tank, they get too big. Needlenose stay smaller, you could probably keep those. Hujeta "gar" is another idea, they stay smaller. These guys both like to live in groups but do OK alone.
As far as mixing all these fish it's a gamble. The cichlids might not get along, safer route would be to pick your favorite (Oscar or paratilapia) and grow out one big guy.
Could do something like
4-5 hujeta gar
Oscar
UJ Bichir (Senegal, etc)

Here is a pic of a Hujeta gar I kept years ago. They are cool fish
hu.JPG

Gabriel_Martucci

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2018
Thank you I have seen hujata gar at my local fish store. I know it sucks that my tank is-int that long, I will look in to hujata gar i forgot to mention peacock bass on the list but thats ok cant keep em all:p

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
Go for polleni, Oscar get too big imo.

Reactions: Gabriel_Martucci
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store