WORMS IN AQUARIUM

Davidiator

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
At home
Hi,
I was doing a water change just now... When I finished pouring new water in I noticed something floating/wriggling... It looks like a tiny white hair but it was wriggling like crazy... Then I noticed several more... Should I do something? All the fish seem fine but I am worried... Although I do plan on changing gravel out for sand tomorrow so i could try to get rid of as many as i can...

Davidiator

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
At home
Ok I did some research and i found out they are called Detritus Worms... Now can anyone tell me if this is a problem... and if they will die when i change out the substrate tomorrow?

TwoHedWlf

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2017
New Zealand
Ok I did some research and i found out they are called Detritus Worms... Now can anyone tell me if this is a problem... and if they will die when i change out the substrate tomorrow?
Just a symptom of overfeeding and having a dirty tank. Cutting back on feeding and a good clean will cut down on their numbers.

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
Unsightly to most, but generally speaking, not harmful. As TwoHedWlf TwoHedWlf said, it's a sign the tank needs better maintenance. The safest solution is as he suggested.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio

I would say most aquariums that has substrate will have detritus worms but like stated will show up from substrate when you over feed or disturb the substrate and detritus worms are harmless.

Reactions: kno4te

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
I've had tanks in the past that due to overfeeding (though i didn't know at the time they were there because of overfeeding) were riddled with these worms. When i'd stir up my gravel my little fish used to go bananas over these worms. But generally speaking it's a sign that the owner of the tank needs to up their game a bit. Basically, less food + regular vacuuming = no worms.

Davidiator

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
At home
Ok Thanks...
I am going to start doing a gravel water change once a week and a water change once a week,

burntrubber

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2010
As the name suggest, it feeds on poop and stuff. Benificial in a way that it breaks down waste further. Goosebump inducing, yes. Cut down on the feed and give the gravel a vac now and then.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store