Monster Shrimp Keeper

shookONES

Casper... the not so friendly ghost
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Totowa, NJ
shookONES shookONES those are really cool shrimp! I bet they’re a bit more finicky than my RCS. Haha. As in: I bet they'd not form a colony in a canister filter. How do you keep them happy & healthy? What's your water change regimen, what do you feed etc? Also: Did you start with that many, or have they already reproduced for you?
Sup bro? Yeah definitely a little more demanding than their RCS cousins, but almost as prolific. They're very sensitive to water parameters, so I start with 0 TDS RO water. I swear by this stuff called "Blue Wizard" by SL Aqua to remineralize the water. I keep them at a TDS of 140ish, gH 5-6, kH 0, and pH in the low 6s. Fortunately, the remineralizer does all the work for me. Water changes are my usual weekly 50% (probably the reason I'm able to sustain such a large population in a measly 4g LOL). Their diet is varied, but a lot of high end, shrimp-specific stuff from overseas. SL Aqua Magic Powder, Lowkeys Ebi Supple, and Nishiki protein/vegetable, and dried white mulberry leaves being my favorites.

shookONES

Casper... the not so friendly ghost
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Totowa, NJ
I started with about 20 sub adults. I'd estimate the population today to be 60-70 with a bunch of fresh babies that are hiding in the plants. I've got a 15g Dennerle rimless I'll be setting up soon. I should have hundreds by the summer factoring in the exponential growth. At $8-10ea, this may just be a facet of the hobby that puts a little money back into my pocket for a change haha.

Reactions: gangster and Hendre

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Sign me up for a starter package :)

Reactions: shookONES
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com