Weir Teeth too wide

TexasMFK31

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2017
Evening all. I am trying to come up with a way to "cover" the teeth of my corner overflow. I tried put a sponge over the teeth, but this reduces the flow into the overflow too much. This is a community tank, and the overflow claimed my rope fish. I found him, still alive in the filter sock thankfully, but I am getting a smaller variety of loaches (can't recall the sp. atm) and I don't want them ending up there too! Would magnets holding a split media bag be ok? Would the magnets need to be rubberized? Just trying to get some ideas, as my sponge idea won't work.

Thanks,

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Evening all. I am trying to come up with a way to "cover" the teeth of my corner overflow. I tried put a sponge over the teeth, but this reduces the flow into the overflow too much. This is a community tank, and the overflow claimed my rope fish. I found him, still alive in the filter sock thankfully, but I am getting a smaller variety of loaches (can't recall the sp. atm) and I don't want them ending up there too! Would magnets holding a split media bag be ok? Would the magnets need to be rubberized? Just trying to get some ideas, as my sponge idea won't work.

Thanks,

Maybe something like this from a craft store.https://www.etsy.com/listing/221817...WUoy0e3vT6-R2Lu8atYai0TVof_HuK6MaAmKjEALw_wcB

TexasMFK31

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2017
I have used egg crate divider in front of weirs, and also a type screen used as leaf protectors on gutters. They allow flow, but don't act as a blockage for small debris. Might not work for thin species like coolie loaches though.

Yeah, I believe the Kuhli loaches would make their way through the eggcrate. Great idea for bigger fish though!

markstrimaran

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2015
iowa
Wal-Mart has plastic canvas, in the needle point, sewing section.

I have molybdenum magnets, under water with slight rust. Zip ties are better.

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store