New york

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I did not like Beital's. The guy who runs the store gave me a speech about what I could and could not do with my tank and:
a) told me plants cannot go into an uncycled tank, and do not reduce nitrate
b) told me I could keep red pike cichlids in a 55. When I told him they wouldn't even be able to turn around, he told to get a bigger tank then, even though I told him the tank was in the wall, and I had no intention of ripping the wall apart again to put in a bigger one, and wanted a fish that could live out its life in a 55.
I would have heartily laughed at every stupid thing that he said.

djbvaranus

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2012
Orange County NY
Ahh I just built a house in ulster county last week. I’m originally from Orange County(walker valley) but I moved to Warwick. I’m building my house in Sullivan county(still walker valley). Walker valley is one of those wierd places where you drive 3 mins up the road your in ulster and 3 mins down the road the other way your in orange and Sullivan is right there too

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
I had a similar bad experience with beitals when I first got into saltwater the guy who runs the place sold me a yellow tang for a 36g bowfront ... I told him it’s my first saltwater tank that I need a few small fish to cycle the tank that aren’t going to die after. I was looking at damsels and clownfish which are the hardier smaller fish that could have actually lived in that tank and instead he talked me outta it saying that they are fragile. Sold me a 6” yellow tang which died 3 days later. Never went back lol. Where about are you from? I live in Warwick technically I’m in new Milford right off 94 right before Vernon
I live in Rockland

Orthopod

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2010
Seattle
I lived in nyc for five years and used to know New York by the fish stores. Beital’s has some interesting fish at times but the guy who runs it was always nasty and would change prices listed on tanks almost every time I asked about a fish.

I miss the store in your area so much better than where I am now. Aqua hut on Long Island had nice selection and excellent prices. There were several other stores on Long Island that had great fish as well. One in particular had stuff that no one could get but prices were heavy. I’d go to look. Can’t recall the name.

Monster aquarium didn’t exist when I lived there 6 years ago. If I lived there, I’d check them out given there Facebook page. I miss having other like minded hobbyists in the area. The Seattle area is full of plant enthusiasts and very few who care about fish and especially exotic interesting stuff.

MHcblues119

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2007
Essex, New Jersey
The guy at Beitals makes me laugh everytime I'm there. carries some great stock from time to time.
Absolutely fish is over rated and over priced. Also they hire absolute morons.
Fish hut is average.
Monster aquarium in queens is by far the best shop for exotics in the area.

Get together with the NJ guys. Everything i know came from them. Great group of guys

Reactions: UnstoppableJayD

UnstoppableJayD

MFK NNJ
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2012
Northern NJ
Beitals owner is a tough one but the fish he gets are great. So if you know what you are buying you will be fine. If looking for advice that’s a different story lol

Reactions: djbvaranus

djbvaranus

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2012
Orange County NY
I like beitals store, just got 2 fish from him. But just like I said years ago I’m still iffy on the owner lol. Seems everyone has the same experience there.

I31

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2007
omni
Speaking of Monster Aquarium, anyone taking advantage of the 35% discount this week?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store