Several types of morays commonly caught in Indonesia's rivers

thefredpit

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
United States
yeah my 1st bichir ate 50 platys in 2 weeks in my 1st tank so I bought him his own 55 gallon and bought an albino and 4 prawns as tank mates in the morning I found his body and I was pissed. This was the 1st month I had fish so I didn't really understand about compatability

john_lord_b3

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2017
sites.google.com
All this time I thought only freshwater lobsters are capable of such aggressions. Now I think I must be aware of the macrobrachiums as well when they grow bigger.

With that being said, macrobrachiums doesn't usually last long (those large ones of mine are big exceptions) because when they're moulting every several months or so, they are very vulnerable. Even their fellow shrimps will attack them.

Last edited:

john_lord_b3

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2017
sites.google.com
yeah the prawns can molt every 2-3 weeks so they grow fast
So, after learning about your bad experience, I evicted all my large shrimps and add more guppies. Since my morays started to develop a taste for bloodworms, it chases the guppies less often & seems to prefer the worms, so, less wasted worms, thus the role of the shrimps as feeder+cleaner can be taken over by the guppies.

Reactions: Dloks

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
Hello Fat Homer! Nice to see a fellow fat guy :D

I don't have G. Polyuranodon yet, still in the process of acquiring one. All the G. Polys you see in this thread, all belonged to Mr. Septian.

Most of the Indonesians I know who keep G. Polys, Strophidons and E. Rhodochiluses, keep them in freshwater.

I do have three cute Echidna Rhodochiluses, I keep them in a low-end brackish aquarium (1 part seawater, 5 parts freshwater, with fluctuating salinity simulated by alternating between swapping seawater and freshwater during routine water changes).

This is my largest E. Rhodochilus, I call it Mr. Emerson.

View attachment 1289767
thank you for the thread. You have me interested in E. Rhodochiluses. Do you know how long your friends have had their E. Rhodochiluses in full fw setups at this point? Also do when these guys are caught in the rivers is near the mouth of the river or far upstream?

Reactions: john_lord_b3

john_lord_b3

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2017
sites.google.com
thank you for the thread. You have me interested in E. Rhodochiluses. Do you know how long your friends have had their E. Rhodochiluses in full fw setups at this point? Also do when these guys are caught in the rivers is near the mouth of the river or far upstream?
My rhodochiluses has been in full FW for at least one and a half year before I bought them & moved them to a low-end brackish tank (average 1.006-1.008 sg).

They were caught about some kilometers away from the estuarium/rivermouth.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store