Marble crayfish

suckerfish

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2005
LAGASH
https://www.yahoo.com/news/attack-clones-creature-started-pet-184521528.html

Anyone see this article? I smell a ban coming soon, and maybe this once, I’d agree!!
I know I’m late in the shrimp game, but these damn things are like aliens, the movie! I’m going to have to get a few puffers again or just start freezing the ones I have. My ranchu group already decimate hundreds, and I still have too many. Any thoughts? Do you ray keepers use theses?

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Personally speaking, if i had too many and didnt know what to do with them, i'd possibly kill off a few adults to keep population numbers under better control for my useage...

But thats just me ;)

miksha_

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2017
Of course, ban everything. Land of the free, home of the regulated. But make sure you don't ban cats that annihilate native bird populations and spread toxoplasmosis in their feces, and don't ban pitbulls that mall and kill adults, kids, and other pets.

Just ban the scales and creepy crawlies, think about the children!

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

itrebebag99

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2017
Illinois
Yeah, I have wanted to own a colony of them, despite their ugliness. That being said, I really don't understand how the heck they are still legal. All it takes is one person to release a single one into the wild, and every body of water will be infested with them.

Fortunately, they aren't as aggressive as say, the rusty crayfish or red swamp crayfish (which are two invasives where I'm at). This means they are less likely to out-compete native crayfish, and more likely to become food. Obviously, this is a theory that I'd prefer not be tested!

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Hmm... I want one. Lol. My puffer can always use more food.
Honestly, if they are getting to be too much in a persons tank just feed them to other fish. Why toss them into the wild?
My koi will eat anything that fits in their mouths. So unwanted spawns go to the koi. I wouldn’t hesitate to do the same with baby crays.
Of course my puffer and cichlids would get first dips. Haha

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Viridis

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 30, 2016
Yeah, I have wanted to own a colony of them, despite their ugliness. That being said, I really don't understand how the heck they are still legal. All it takes is one person to release a single one into the wild, and every body of water will be infested with them.

Fortunately, they aren't as aggressive as say, the rusty crayfish or red swamp crayfish (which are two invasives where I'm at). This means they are less likely to out-compete native crayfish, and more likely to become food. Obviously, this is a theory that I'd prefer not be tested!
Unless they find a niche the O. rusticus & P. clarkii haven't filled, and reproduce in numbers high enough to offset predation. Not saying this will happen, but hey, it's possible.

I wouldn't mind a colony of these myself. P. clarkii just don't produce fast enough for me; and if I don't need a male, that's that many more females laying clutches. If they reproduce too much, you could always cull the babies at a small size, freeze them, and use them for food later.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store