Tankmates for Bichir

thefredpit

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
United States
You'll rarely if ever get death rolls out of Senegal bichirs in my experience.

To be honest I think you'll get more fun out of an Acara with some bichirs then just one single large fish crammed in there
I've only seen my ropefish doing death roles which begs the question why no one(me included) has suggested several ropefish they are very active and play in the bubbles and each other

Reactions: Hendre

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
If a cichlid won't attack a poly it'll probably leave it alone J jaws7777 how's the persei with the polys?
Pearsei are a whole different cichlid. Peaceful herbivores for the most part. Mine will push a poly out of the way... to get at food, lol.

When I had my cichlid community with the Pearsei, het, red bay snook and regani they never messed with bichirs. This was with upper jaws like my weeksii, delhezi, palmas palmas, butti. Of course bigger tank made that easier.

Reactions: tlindsey and Hendre

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
I just want a fish that doesn’t have to be active but has to have interesting behavior like it’s always doing something but it doesn’t have be swimming around all the time. Also I want it to be a “monster” for a 75 gallon

Bichirs are not active fish. A few upper jaws maybe considered active but all in all the allure of polys is not their activity if so then i'd bet eventually you will be bored with them.

You also have to like the fish. For me getting a particular poly just because its active doesnt work. I have to like the appearence. The same goes with pleco keepers. They dont look at how active they are because they arent active at all.
Also even if a poky is active that doesnt mean interactive or an outgoing personality. They arent going to follow u around like an oscar.

True, really it’s between a Midas cichlid or a bichir, I would like to keep the bichir with two acara or two bichir with one acara. If that is advisable
Never kept midas but from what i understand they are pretty aggressive.

If I did an all bichir tank how fun would that be?
dmcskoolkid dmcskoolkid and i was just talking about this. For a time it would be cool but in the long run pretty boring.

If a cichlid won't attack a poly it'll probably leave it alone J jaws7777 how's the persei with the polys?

I'd say: Pick 2/3 bichirs like:
Sens
Palmas
Delhezi

Then add an acara and done.

Black sand works well :)
Pearsei are great but 90 gal is too small.

I like the acara and be done. Lol they are cool and there are also quite a few cool looking species other than the generic blue acara.

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
I haven't seen anything about the equipment that is planning to be purchased across multiple posts in different fish threads. Are you sure you are able to handle the water changes, cycling, and testing with this large tank?

Reactions: magpie and tlindsey

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
I'm fairly certain a Midas needs a larger tank. The Acaras are a way better species for your tank, will still be interactive, attractive, and comfortable for life in that tank. As J jaws7777 says... larger cichlids fart out nitrates LOL... Seeing a large fish in a small tank is kind of depressing IMO.

I'm right on board with Jaws also in regards to choosing fish - ultimately do YOU find bichirs interesting? Do they appeal to you? You might end up with an individual that isn't very active... will you still think it's cool to watch and stare at? I know the answer for me (hells yeah) but not for you.

I worry you'll get bored as you mention because in your posts you keep jumping around as far as your interests go. I look forward to seeing you settle down in your decision and get excited about planning the setup to make it successful. Getting a tank started can be tricky until it finds a certain equilibrium.

I also like the 3 upper jaws with the acara plan.

Ropes are awesome but I think they're best for a planted tank (or at least heavily fake-planted. ;) )

If you don't have a strong preference in looks for the polys, then go for activity: Senegal, Delhezi, Polli. Buettekoferi are known to be hiders, so get one only if you think it's really cool looking IMO.

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
I haven't seen anything about the equipment that is planning to be purchased across multiple posts in different fish threads. Are you sure you are able to handle the water changes, cycling, and testing with this large tank?
Also an excellent point. What filter are you planning? What is realistic for you in regards to water changes in frequency and amount?

I do appreciate all of your questions! Getting an aquarium set up is really rewarding but also challenging especially at first.

Reactions: DMD123

dmcskoolkid

Aimara
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2010
MD
dmcskoolkid dmcskoolkid and i was just talking about this. For a time it would be cool but in the long run pretty boring.

This is the sad truth I’ve tried it and I don’t think I can do it.

Reactions: jaws7777

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Great point. All.of the suggestions made are pointless with out know this

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store