Poly stocking advice needed

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
Definitely agree!

For me, with a large tank the LJs are far more appealing. And again, I'd do other fish for my activity. As long as the poly isn't a hider, I'm good. I don't like to "waste" bioload on fish I don't see because I don't like to overstock my tanks.

But I am happy to stare at a large LJ who isn't moving a whole lot, too. ;)

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Definitely agree!

For me, with a large tank the LJs are far more appealing. And again, I'd do other fish for my activity. As long as the poly isn't a hider, I'm good. I don't like to "waste" bioload on fish I don't see because I don't like to overstock my tanks.

Lmaooo yup. I dont do hiders well of any species.

I wonder if our expectations of them are the reason why they are soo often baught/sold. I dont think any other fish ive kept are moved as much as polys. Maybe its our expectations combined with the lack of interaction. Polys are my favirote fish but it would allot harder to rehome hulk or chewy over a poly. Those fish truly interact where even the most active poly like my darker congi isnt interacting its just swimming.

Reactions: magpie

thefredpit

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
United States
Oh i agree and im not bashing uj's they are great too. Just seems like for most of us that migrate from uj to lj theres usually no turning back. Also i feel like if someone is researching fish and get the poly bug activity level alone is probably not the best characteristic to determine if the species is right for them.
my thought is starting with active upperjaws is a good way to draw people into into the poly addiction and by far is not the last stop last march I got a butt that I only kept for a month before trading it because it always hid, now I regret trading it because I am more addicted and if I rarely see a particular bichir it makes each time I see it that more exciting

Definitely agree!

the one thing i've discovered about having hiders is I will spend a long time searching a tank essentially playing a fish version of where's waldo and get excited when I find one. I realized how crazy it had gotten when I was at my LFS and spent 15 min searching a tank for a pleco that the tank said was there only to find out it had been sold earlier

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
Lmaooo yup. I dont do hiders well of any species.

I wonder if our expectations of them are the reason why they are soo often baught/sold. I dont think any other fish ive kept are moved as much as polys. Maybe its our expectations combined with the lack of interaction. Polys are my favirote fish but it would allot harder to rehome hulk or chewy over a poly. Those fish truly interact where even the most active poly like my darker congi isnt interacting its just swimming.
Yeah, you've nailed that, too. Another reason to have fewer of them and other things in the tank for me to personally be happiest. I love having them, but I also like a fish that's in your face a bit more for the interaction piece.

These guys are the crocodiles, sitting and hanging out and looking amazing. Fascinating to watch. But the cichlids (or other interactive fish) are the... seals? Dolphins? LOL Something with more personality. I think I need more coffee.

Reactions: jaws7777

thefredpit

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
United States
Yeah, you've nailed that, too. Another reason to have fewer of them and other things in the tank for me to personally be happiest. I love having them, but I also like a fish that's in your face a bit more for the interaction piece.

These guys are the crocodiles, sitting and hanging out and looking amazing. Fascinating to watch. But the cichlids (or other interactive fish) are the... seals? Dolphins? LOL Something with more personality. I think I need more coffee.
yeah I do have a couple interactive fish like my hand fed fire eels and my elephant nose

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
my thought is starting with active upperjaws is a good way to draw people into into the poly addiction and by far is not the last stop last march I got a butt that I only kept for a month before trading it because it always hid, now I regret trading it because I am more addicted and if I rarely see a particular bichir it makes each time I see it that more exciting

the one thing i've discovered about having hiders is I will spend a long time searching a tank essentially playing a fish version of where's waldo and get excited when I find one. I realized how crazy it had gotten when I was at my LFS and spent 15 min searching a tank for a pleco that the tank said was there only to find out it had been sold earlier
I agree that UJs are a good way to get into polys, esp. since they can be kept in smaller tanks. And it is fun to watch them swim around. I loved being able to hand feed my ropes, too.

I get what you're saying as far as treasure hunting fish. But... see you are an overstocker. For someone who doesn't want to overstock, or maybe someone with just 1 or 2 tanks I think the appeal is far less to have something where you have to search for it every time... maybe you only get to see a part of a fish, even.

I dunno. We're all different, that's why it's fun to shoot the **** in here. :)

thefredpit

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
United States
I agree that UJs are a good way to get into polys, esp. since they can be kept in smaller tanks. And it is fun to watch them swim around. I loved being able to hand feed my ropes, too.

I get what you're saying as far as treasure hunting fish. But... see you are an overstocker. For someone who doesn't want to overstock, or maybe someone with just 1 or 2 tanks I think the appeal is far less to have something where you have to search for it every time... maybe you only get to see a part of a fish, even.

I dunno. We're all different, that's why it's fun to shoot the **** in here. :)
well the good thing is my overstocking will soon be a lot less. This weekend I'm picking up 6x 75 gallons and by mid march I will be setting up 1 more 75, another 60, another 55, a 20L, a 13 widescreen, and 11x 2.5g

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
I dont see uj being any better to start out with unless tank size is an issue. Feeding, aggression, social behaviors or lack of are exactly the same.

Im just saying that using activity level may not be the best characteristic since as a species they are NOT known for activity.

zimmy

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2010
Toronto, Canada
These are really informative posts. I have to say I love this sub-forum. It's great having so many active participants to learn from.

I'm totally new to polypterus and coming from the world of cichlids - where activity was definitely one of the things that drew me to keeping them. For the brief time I had the ornates, I was blown away by how graceful they looked swimming around (except when the big one was attacking the little one) so that's definitely the thing that's drawing me to ujs.

What is it about the ljs that you all love? What kind of interaction do you have with them?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
These are really informative posts. I have to say I love this sub-forum. It's great having so many active participants to learn from.

I'm totally new to polypterus and coming from the world of cichlids - where activity was definitely one of the things that drew me to keeping them. For the brief time I had the ornates, I was blown away by how graceful they looked swimming around (except when the big one was attacking the little one) so that's definitely the thing that's drawing me to ujs.

What is it about the ljs that you all love? What kind of interaction do you have with them?
I like upper jaws cause of their size and temperament. Just my preference for now.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store