Sump Filter media order

Spyro_the_dragon

Feeder Fish
Feb 13, 2018
Looking for some advice with my first ever sump please!

I have a 72x30x24 coming soon with an included 42x18x18 sump. It’s replacing an old tank which was run on external canisters.

I’m free to design the sections of the sump and I’d like to ask a couple of questions please ...

- plan on having a 6’’ section with mechanical media. Is this enough?
- plan to have next a 4’’ section for carbon, zeolite or anything else I may need from time to time.
- then have a 10’’ refugium type space to use as a hospital, grow on fry, grow sensitive plants (with appropriate light). Is it worth it?
- then have a 12’’ K1 section.
- then have a 6’’ ceramic rings section with heaters. Is this enough?
- finally a 4’’ return pump section. My guess is that there no value in making this bigger?

Is the order correct? Should the ceramics come before K1?

In terms of inhabitants - it’s a community tropical - 10 large dollars, 5 large clown loach, 10 large denisons etc. There are some plants and with attention to lighting I plan to grow them properly. (Fish are currently housed in 5’ and 4’ temporary tanks, as the old 6’ had to go for to enable building works which are now done)

Thoughts, advice, comments greatly received!

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
IME if you are going to go K1, go all the way with K1. A well setup K1 chamber will make ceramic useless unless the K1 is not sufficient in volume. I would also recommend much larger room for mechanical. If it were me I would split the sump into three sections. The smallest of the three being return pump (if submersible).

Basically make as much room for k1 as possible as well as mechanical. Socks suck to clean. The larger sock you can fit, the longer you can go in between changes. If you go the K1 route you will need a quality air pump which is an additional cost. Just ceramic is an option as well if you don't feel like messing with K1.

Reactions: millerkid519

millerkid519

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2015
stratford ontario canada
This is my sump i whipped up. First is mechanical, bio home( for extra cycled media and extra space for anything I need), 25l k1, heater, then pump, Nothing special. KEEP It Simple Stupid- KISS method wins for fw tanks

Resized_IMG-20180121-WA0002.jpeg

Reactions: JK47

markstrimaran

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2015
iowa
A upflow algea scrubber inside the refugium, has alot of benefits, feeds fry, removes ammonia. Something to look into, it helps control nuisnce algea in a planted tank, less glass cleaning.

Spyro_the_dragon

Feeder Fish
Feb 13, 2018
Many thanks for the helpful replies. I've made the mechanical area bigger and designed in a couple of socks. Thanks for the suggestion around an algae scrubber. Never heard of one of those before but will look into it.

soupa2

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2007
cyn
This is my sump i whipped up. First is mechanical, bio home( for extra cycled media and extra space for anything I need), 25l k1, heater, then pump, Nothing special. KEEP It Simple Stupid- KISS method wins for fw tanks

View attachment 1299456
Just curious why a section for just the heater and not place it in the pump section and place them right by the pumps suction so heat lost will be minimum to display tank?? Than without that section I have more area for the K1s

millerkid519

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2015
stratford ontario canada
Just curious why a section for just the heater and not place it in the pump section and place them right by the pumps suction so heat lost will be minimum to display tank?? Than without that section I have more area for the K1s
I was originally going to use this as a fully submerged sump, then I rememered I had the k1 sitting in the basement so I put the 2 pieces of sponge. The bio home and heater section catch any mulm that makes it past my mechanical and is wide enough that I can fit my siphon in and do a quick cleaning of the sump during a water change. As for the heater thats just where it ended up. I could put it in the pump chamber but it is doing just fine at keeping the dt at 80 degrees where it is.
I agree it could have been made a little better to maximize space but with the extra few inches of clearance I can clean the sump in less then 5 minutes during a water change.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store