Bubble Danger?

PufferCorps

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2016
hayward ca
www.pufferfishrescue.org
I heard somewhere that bubbles that appear after water changes can give fish the bends.
If so, how can i prevent this without having to age 691 buckets of water?

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Who the hell have you heard that off, it's a new one on me. The closest you'll ever see to a fish suffering from anything like compared to the bends is when fishermen drag deep sea cod for example up from the depths too quickly. Their swim bladders become huge due to decreased pressure at sea level and can be seen hanging out of their mouths. Also at very high altitude you can suffer from the bends. In a fish tank?....about 2ft deep?....at sea level (give or take)? i'd say your fish are pretty safe.

Reactions: PufferCorps

squint

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2007
CO
You don't have to age the water, just don't heat cool water in the tank with fish. I heat my water in a 55 gal barrel.

Reactions: PufferCorps

OnceLoyal

Candiru
MFK Member
May 13, 2008
Around
Bubbles that appear after wc? Like bubbles that form at the surface? What kind of Bubbles?
No the fish can't get bends from that

OnceLoyal

Candiru
MFK Member
May 13, 2008
Around
Again with regular water changes your fine. That is assuming your not throwing in hot or much colder water than present. If your talking like foaming bubbles or something then that's a whole different issue.

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
If there are a lot of proteins in the water, the water near the top of the tank will bubble and foam up when water is added back to the tank. I had this issue two weeks ago, when my tank was half empty and one of my fish repeatedly slammed into tank lids, injuring himself. He bled profusely. By the time I got the tank refilled, there was a layer of brown foam on top of the water. Had to immediately do another water change :(

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store