Clown leach spawning

Hussein almeyahy

Feeder Fish
Feb 13, 2018
Hey I am a new member I’ve got a question if that’s ok, I just noticed my clown leach’s spawning there actually been going for a few hours now there’s eggs every where I had to turn of the water filter because they’re doing it right next to the intake. I came to the site wanting to find out info about hatch time and fri dietary needs only to find out that it’s a rear acorns do leaches spawn in aquariums any information wed be helpful, thanks.

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
Im assuming you're referring to Clown Loaches. If im wrong I apologize.
If they are truly spawning consider yourself lucky.
I would set up another tank with a sponge filter and heater, make sure temps and water are similar and move the eggs to this tank.
I would also make plans to hatch some baby brine shrimp for the fry,if you can.

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
Video please!!!

So far there isn't any records of clown loaches spawning naturally! in captivity! At least not any proven ones.

What are your water parameters, temp, clown loach size/age, etc...

Thank you :)

P.S. You will learn nothing here but we can learn something from your tank:rolleyes:

Reactions: Davidiator

heavyhitter

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2008
Nebraska
Yes videos please. I have only heard of one credible story of someone breeding clown loaches in my life. This would be extremely rare.

Hussein almeyahy

Feeder Fish
Feb 13, 2018
Im assuming you're referring to Clown Loaches. If im wrong I apologize.
If they are truly spawning consider yourself lucky.
I would set up another tank with a sponge filter and heater, make sure temps and water are similar and move the eggs to this tank.
I would also make plans to hatch some baby brine shrimp for the fry,if you can.
Your not wrong I did mean clown leaches I’ve got a tank set up and managed to get a few eggs not enough though I hope there still there when I get home, there in a community tank and the fish wore having a fest on them. I was thinking to get all the fish out of the main tank instead. I have no idea what are brain shrimp are or how to go about hatching them I guess I got some research to do,thank for the advice big G.

Hussein almeyahy

Feeder Fish
Feb 13, 2018
Yes videos please. I have only heard of one credible story of someone breeding clown loaches in my life. This would be extremely rare.
No problem I didn’t get any videos of them spawning if they are still going when I get home I’ll definitely do that but I we’ll video as much as I can from here on out I honestly can’t believe it’s that rear, I’m so excited I want to go home now the only experience of breeding I have is with zebra daneo so I hope it all goes well, I guess I gotta prove my claim.

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
Your not wrong I did mean clown leaches I’ve got a tank set up and managed to get a few eggs not enough though I hope there still there when I get home, there in a community tank and the fish wore having a fest on them. I was thinking to get all the fish out of the main tank instead. I have no idea what are brain shrimp are or how to go about hatching them I guess I got some research to do,thank for the advice big G.
First I should have said, Welcome to MFK!
Brine Shrimp, Or Artemia , Are small crustaceans that are sold as eggs and when you add these eggs to an aerated saltwater solution they will hatch in 24 to 36 hours. Then you harvest the baby shrimps to feed to the fry.
Its is a very good first food for fry because the live shrimp stimulate the fry to begin feeding.
Once they reach a week or two in age you can more easily switch the fry over to dry foods.
It can be hard to get some fry to eat dry foods in the beginning.
Live brine shrimp will greatly increase the numbers of fry that will survive.

Reactions: Hendre

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
From my research on artificial breeding, the most important for egg hatching is temperature. 26C is optimal temperature for clown loach egg hatching. The eggs are temperature sensitive and require quite low temps for the general region clown loaches are from.

Next important thing for fry rearing is again temperature. Largest survival rate has been observed beteween about 26C to max 29C.

As for feeding, from what I read, same as any other fry.....

Question: When you saw them spawning, can you explain in your own words how exactly did they mate?

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
How big are they? Agreed...this is extremely rare and I too have only heard of 2 reports of them spawning. You can remove the eggs with a turkey baster or use a silicone airline to siphon out the eggs. Place them in a tumbler or a small tank with the same water from the main tank and add an airstone next to the eggs for circulation and some methylene blue to stop them from fungusing over. Remove fungused eggs daily. When they hatch, wait until they finish absorbing their yolk sacs then squeeze out your sponge filter into the tank to introduce micro organisms for them to eat. Then switch them over to baby brine shrimp or microworms. Good luck and change the water often in the fry tank and cleanup any uneaten food

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store