Reddish sores on Midevil

demonknight

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2007
India
In that case I'd have to agree with the above listed bacterial infection opinion. Ive never had much luck treating bacterial outbreaks. Usually by the time the outward symptoms are seen, irrepairable damage has already been sustained on the inside.
Ah man :(

Keep waking up every morning in the hope he swims to me asking for food.

Should i be increasing the temp?

Stephen St.Clair

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
I believe that Melafix is more or less an antiseptic, not really an antibiotic. IMO, unless you diagnose and treat a bacterial infection very early on, then the chances for survival are slim. There are several types of deadly bacteria. I've read where Columnaris, has four different strains. All deadly, just one strain kills over night while the others linger on for days until death. It's your call regarding meds or euthanize. Not an easy choice.

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
My biggest mistake was not getting good pics first time out itself. Been treating the fish for parasites all this while :(

Started Melafix today afternoon.

Will that do or should i get Kanaplex [Not available locally, have to buy it online and would take 3-4 days to reach me].

Thinking it was parasite infection, i had ordered API General cure as well which would reach me tomorrow.

Kanaplex and Furan i can start in 3-4 days time if i order now. Jungle Fungus clear is not available here.
Can you get medication that contains kanamycin sulfate or nitrofurazone or sulfathiazole?

demonknight

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2007
India
Over the counter medication would be available i reckon. What would be the dosage in that case?

Fish medication containing that is hard to come by and my only option is ordering it online which would take 3-4 days time to reach me.

demonknight

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2007
India
So he is horizontal most of the time and his gills seem to be working overtime. And i don't know if i am seeing things but his lower jaw seems to have overextended a bit. Hope i described that ok.

Would most likely be putting him out his misery soon...

What should i be doing next to disinfect the tank?

Stephen St.Clair

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
If the other tankmates seem unaffected, probably just a large WC, and thorough gravel vac. Be sure to up your weekly tank maintenence. I'm not a big fan of Melafix as a med, but in your case it might be benificial to use it as a mild disinfectant for the tank.

Reactions: demonknight

demonknight

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2007
India
So he died this morning :(

Yet to get back home from work. Shall start working on clean up over the weekend.

Siphon out max water, refill, use prime and melafix. Dose melafix every day? Change water in 3 days time, repeat process.

Then change water, add in activated carbon in the AquaClear, get API quick start and start anew?

Stephen St.Clair

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
Sounds like a good plan. Just follow the directions reference the Melafix. How are the surviving tankmates doing?

Stephen St.Clair

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
That is a good indication that the worst is probably over. Certain strains of bacteria are tank killers. Apparently not in your case.

Reactions: demonknight
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store