Durso stand pipe silencer??

soupa2

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2007
cyn
currently my 330 are setup with durso style and once pass the bulkhead (drain side) I have a 90 and it’s very noisy. I hear that most of the noise come from this 90 but the other side it’s not as loud. this farther side of the sump drain pipe is connected to a 36-40” pvc and than about 20” of flex hose. I’m trying to silence it as much as possible. The system are not gurgling just not fully siphoning. I play around with different types of hose where stuck to the full U shape stand pipe up top and it’s not working.

808F0B0B-F36A-4050-BFD8-2E0F12210EDD.jpeg

B3002CBE-6E27-4FDC-872A-DF9D4529F07E.jpeg

153857A4-17D9-49CA-9974-F80E5D43D63A.jpeg

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
I’m not as familiar with the durso, but I believe you have to tune the amount of air it lets into the top of the elbow. I know a lot of people run the little plastic flow control valves that you use to decrease the flow of air to an air stone. I think you just have to play with it to find a setting that it causes the least amount of noise.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
No idea about durso.

Question about the 2nd pick. Instead of gluing into the bulkhead you used those black abs pressure coupling ,if thats what they are even called

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
Durso is a drain that uses a line or hole to let a certain amount of air into the drain as water is being drawn in to match the flow of water to the return.

Herbie drain is what I would do its less picky and done right will be virtually silent.
Herbie uses two lines, one runs at a full siphon with a valve to regulate the flow to just slightly less than the return rate. The other line is then run at a trickle just to take up the difference left over from the main drain.
In some instances you can even run a third line that stays dry unless there is a problem with the other lines, as an emergency drain line.

Reactions: Drstrangelove

soupa2

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2007
cyn
No idea about durso.

Question about the 2nd pick. Instead of gluing into the bulkhead you used those black abs pressure coupling ,if thats what they are even called
Nice observation... they are called No Hub couplings. They are used for plumbing but in my case I didn’t want to glue the bulkhead to the 90 pvc so I just used a larger size coupling to attached them together.

Durso is a drain that uses a line or hole to let a certain amount of air into the drain as water is being drawn in to match the flow of water to the return.

Herbie drain is what I would do its less picky and done right will be virtually silent.
Herbie uses two lines, one runs at a full siphon with a valve to regulate the flow to just slightly less than the return rate. The other line is then run at a trickle just to take up the difference left over from the main drain.
In some instances you can even run a third line that stays dry unless there is a problem with the other lines, as an emergency drain line.
So durso I need to dial my air tube where it runs into the drain to make it less noisy and in herbie I just use the valve’s to control the drain water to make it less noisy.

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
The purpose of a durso is to create a gravity fed drain that never siphons. There are various design advantages you can take advantage of to create a layers of redundancy. Assuming you have only one drain I would assume too much air is getting pulled in. I'd also play with pump flow a bit.

I think the air is mixing with the water at the bottom of that 90.

Reactions: soupa2

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Nice observation... they are called No Hub couplings. They are used for plumbing but in my case I didn’t want to glue the bulkhead to the 90 pvc so I just used a larger size coupling to attached them together.

So durso I need to dial my air tube where it runs into the drain to make it less noisy and in herbie I just use the valve’s to control the drain water to make it less noisy.
You can greatly increase flow/gph and reduce noise if you can turn that drain into a full siphon. Like BIg G said you just need to get a valve on that line. Do you have any bulkheads that can be used as E drains ? If not then no big deal since your already running the system with out one

Reactions: jvc66

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014

I just realized i used those couplings on my 1st sump. I had a hob overflow

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store