Tip, trick, or old news

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
628B4A98-267A-402B-A45F-A03BF62D8F20.jpeg Just thought o would share my way of knowing how much of a water change I do on my fish tanks.

This can be comsidered a tip or trick to a new person or old news to the long timers.

I basically measure the height of my tank and mark it with duct tape at the 25%, 50%, and 75% mark. This way when I do my water changes I know the amount of water I am changing.

Small pieces of tape on the side of my tank inconspicuous to anyone but me :)

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
View attachment 1300010 Just thought o would share my way of knowing how much of a water change I do on my fish tanks.

This can be comsidered a tip or trick to a new person or old news to the long timers.

I basically measure the height of my tank and mark it with duct tape at the 25%, 50%, and 75% mark. This way when I do my water changes I know the amount of water I am changing.

Small pieces of tape on the side of my tank inconspicuous to anyone but me :)

I'm sure others have used this method but still a good tip imo.

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
I use a permanent marker, which wipes off glass easily. I hope your heater is unplugged!,
That’s smart too!!!

I don’t actually have my heater plugged in, my house is way to hot right now and am having trouble keeping the tank temperature down, it just sits there in case I need it.

Though one time I did change the water and melted all my fake plants...

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

TwoHedWlf

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2017
New Zealand
I used to use marks, now I just eyeball whatever looks like about half.

And put your heater down low enough it doesn't come out of the water, then you don't need to remember to turn it off.

Reactions: tlindsey

FishEZ

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 16, 2017
Brampton, Ontario
www.fishez.ca
I don't have such nice tanks, but since I use "stickys" to put dates, remarks, and other notes, they are on all the tanks. However, what people don't realize is that their placement ON the glass is not without forethought. :) I use the sticky's and level markers which can be easily adjusted. Most of my smaller heaters are horizontal and along the bottom. But if you want it to look inconspicuous, your method is very neat and clean. Thanks for sharing.

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
I use tape to mark sump levels to insure that it will not overflow incase of a power failure.

Reactions: Niki_up

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
I don't have such nice tanks, but since I use "stickys" to put dates, remarks, and other notes, they are on all the tanks. However, what people don't realize is that their placement ON the glass is not without forethought. :) I use the sticky's and level markers which can be easily adjusted. Most of my smaller heaters are horizontal and along the bottom. But if you want it to look inconspicuous, your method is very neat and clean. Thanks for sharing.
I doubt your opinion of your “not so nice tank”

I never really understood how people push their heaters fully underwater, I’m pretty sure the heater I have had a max submerged line on it...
P.s please feel free to post a pic of your tank!

TwoHedWlf

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2017
New Zealand
I doubt your opinion of your “not so nice tank”

I never really understood how people push their heaters fully underwater, I’m pretty sure the heater I have had a max submerged line on it...
P.s please feel free to post a pic of your tank!
They're just about all fully submersible. If they're not, throw it in the trash and get a better heater that is fully submersible.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store