Channa with Dovii

NikosKoul

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2018
Cyprus
Hello guys i am new in this forum but i was reading many posts from you.
Soon i will have my 1000L tank and i want to have some snakeheads. I already have an albino striata about 12 cm in my smaller tank. I was wondering which cichlids will be "good" tankmates with my channas. I like aurantimaculata (if i will take olden cobras i ll have them alone in a 500L) emperor snakehead the orange one , micropeltes. I am not sure which one i ll take.. Can they stay together? I know that the micropeltes will need a huge tank so this project won't be prossed. Will emperor or golden cobra have any problem if i put in the tank large cichlids like jaguar or even dovii? Instead of floating plants i was thinking of large rocks and some driftwoods. What other species can i keep with the emperor in a 1000L. I don't know many things about the channas but i love them

-DC-

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2009
Canada
When young the channa will be bullied by chichlids IF they don’t die or jump out from that stress and mature they will eventually turn on the cichlids and kill them.

Channa dont like tank mates , if they can kill it they will if they can’t they become stressed

Boyette

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2018
Japan
Would be interesting to see how it turns out. I know from experience that Dovii can be extremely aggressive.

Madou

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2013
Belgique
Would be interesting to see how it turns out. I know from experience that Dovii can be extremely aggressive.
I don't know about interesting.
It'll turn out, as DC said in a channa letting himself die, or a dead Dovii.
Doviis are aggressive, sure, but look at what has been listed: Micropeltes, Striata, Maruloides. All three grow to reach over a meter long.

One day, the guy will wake up to a half Dovii in a corner, and the other half floating. Just because channas don't forget who bullied them lol.

Maruloides are one of the few who have been seen working in communities, though we don't hear about all those who didn't succeed, which I am certain are much more frequent cases. That being said, the dovii will try to bully it, and eventually the maruloides will have enough and snap.

Gaz_ham

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2008
northants, uk
I kept a pair of oscars with a blue acara once. The oscars got bullied by the acara. One day one of the pair died and the same night, the remaining oscar killed the acara.
That was lesson learned. Keeping incompatible fish together isnt right, if you care about the fish you keep.

Reactions: NikosKoul
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store