Leaking bulkhead gasket help!

jvc66

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2015
NJ
74AEA057-CEBF-4FB1-A9B6-0FBF494A97B3.jpeg 3A342B38-351A-464B-AA96-0C7074BDBE25.jpeg not my idea of fun today. Found a trickle on one of my 2” rain bulkheads this morning. I can’t properly tight a new bulkhead on behind the tank since there is not enough clearance so I’m currently draining.

Going to put a new one on but questioning which way the gasket should go? I know inside the overflow but the gasket has circles on one side and flat on the other. Can’t remember how I did the others last year. Which side should be touching the acrylic??

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
JK47 JK47 sorry to bug you but in a bit a panic right now! Any ideas? Plus any good tips on tightening this bulkhead in a confined space? Using an oil filter wrench but just can’t get a good grip with the amount of space
No problem, thanks for the quick tag. Use the flat side of the gasket against the material wall (flat glass or acrylic). The circle side on the under side of the flange, on the bulkhead fitting.

If you can get your hands on a strip of rubber to wrap around the nut, the friction will help you get it tighter is a tight space. I have a number of bulkheads that are only hand tight and fine. No silicone!

jvc66

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2015
NJ
No problem, thanks for the quick tag. Use the flat side of the gasket against the material wall (flat glass or acrylic). The circle side on the under side of the flange, on the bulkhead fitting.

If you can get your hands on a strip of rubber to wrap around the nut, the friction will help you get it tighter is a tight space. I have a number of bulkheads that are only hand tight and fine. No silicone!
Your a life saver dude! I thought it was that way but was second guessing myself. Ended up draining the tank to about 6” of water for the fish and running a bubbler. My syns pair are freaking out. But I got the tank away from the wall and put a new bulkhead in and added hose to replace the old pvc. Think I bumped it hard last week after a waterchange or something. Leak testing my overflow box and so far so good after about 20 minutes. Getting ready to move tank back to the wall and fill up. Need to go get more prime

Reactions: JK47

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
Your a life saver dude! I thought it was that way but was second guessing myself. Ended up draining the tank to about 6” of water for the fish and running a bubbler. My syns pair are freaking out. But I got the tank away from the wall and put a new bulkhead in and added hose to replace the old pvc. Think I bumped it hard last week after a waterchange or something. Leak testing my overflow box and so far so good after about 20 minutes. Getting ready to move tank back to the wall and fill up. Need to go get more prime
Great save man!

FishEZ

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 16, 2017
Brampton, Ontario
www.fishez.ca
OK, so I looked at the bulkhead closely. I didn't realize it but the gasket goes into the water side of the tank. Flat against the acrylic (in my case) and then the nut screws onto the threads on the dry side of the tank and pulls the bulkhead tight as it is tightened. I wasn't planning to use any sealant and from the conversation here it appears that I shouldn't have to. How tight should I make them? Should it just be snug? since in my case the bulkhead is near the surface of the tank I would think that the water pressure is not too great. Any corrections to my thinking? Thanks in advance.

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
OK, so I looked at the bulkhead closely. I didn't realize it but the gasket goes into the water side of the tank. Flat against the acrylic (in my case) and then the nut screws onto the threads on the dry side of the tank and pulls the bulkhead tight as it is tightened. I wasn't planning to use any sealant and from the conversation here it appears that I shouldn't have to. How tight should I make them? Should it just be snug? since in my case the bulkhead is near the surface of the tank I would think that the water pressure is not too great. Any corrections to my thinking? Thanks in advance.
Rule of thumb is hand tight and then a quarter turn. Usually with a pair of channel locks or a large wrench. I have a few that are just hand tight and do not leak. You can usually muscle it tight.

Reactions: jvc66
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store