Nu-Clear 533 an 547 set-up

inkslinger

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 21, 2011
East Freetown , MA
I have a Blueline 55 HD External Water Pump with 1in MPT in/out and a Nu-Clear 533 for Mechanical filter and a Nu-Clear Model 547 with Bio Balls for Biological filtering. What would work the best for a intake and return. My 125g tank is not drill. I've use this system 1 time and had nothing but heat issues using pvc elbows , unions, ball valves ect: I end up replacing it with Eheim 2262 . I was hitting 90 degrees with pvc and when I change everything over too vinyl hoses it drop down to 84. I never figure the problem out With my Eheim the temps were down in the 70. My tank has not been setup since 2013 and would like to fire it up an try these filters again.

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
Vertical pipes coming down from the top of the tank. Your uptakes and returns can be done that way, if you don't want to drill or can't

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
Absolutely OK. And OK to have another 90 degree elbow in the tank for a return nozzle. Here's what the top of my 300 gallon tank looks like. I do not have Nu-clear filters but use two RTL-25s which operate in a similar fashion. The PVC is all part of my mechanical filtration with RTLs. Multiple bends, absolutely not a problem.

inkslinger

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 21, 2011
East Freetown , MA
The last time I use this system I think I had too many elbows ,union valves and Y . My temp was steady at 90 degrees , When I switch over to braid hose it drop to 85 degrees so I scrap it and went with the Eheim 2262 filter. Was just going to try it out again.

DSC_0054.JPG DSC_0055.JPG DSC_0056.JPG

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
Yup, somehow your plumbing looks a lot more complicated than ours with two RTLs.

And the vertical pipe on the right is to a 55 gallon holding tank sitting on a high shelf. For water changes, we turn the faucets on at the utility sink and fill up the 55 gallon tank. Opening the valve fills the main tank up via our mechanical plumbing. Directly behind the vertical pipe is a pipe bent downward. That pipe goes under our house and opening an outside valve drains the main tank and dumps it on the patio. We can literally siphon the tank dry....which I accidentally did one time when I was on the phone and forgot I was draining the tank. Without our water change pipes, our mechanical plumbing would look even more simple.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store